Mixed Breed Hens

mbcerri

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2023
Western North Carolina
I’ve got 5 mixed breed hens that hatched at the end of June that were given to me 2 weeks ago . Can anyone with a more experienced eye tell me what these girls may be mixes of? (They were a gift for my silkie roo who was hatched on May 16th). I do not have to know what they are because everyone is happy and content but I am really curious! Thanks in advance for any input/guesses, etc! (I am only attaching one picture of the black hen, as she and my other girl are identical except one has white underwings and the other doesn’t and I cannot yet tell them apart in photos)

Again, thanks for any input!

Attachments

• 71867187391__4ACB36A7-7ED6-4122-99A2-0CD94FFD6FC6.jpeg
    71867187391__4ACB36A7-7ED6-4122-99A2-0CD94FFD6FC6.jpeg
    792 KB · Views: 44
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231004_195454.jpeg
    20231004_195454.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231004_202932.jpeg
    20231004_202932.jpeg
    714.8 KB · Views: 17
It's very tough to tell unless you know what breeds are in the parent flock.

I'd guess the 1st and 3rd might be black sex link crosses.

The 2nd is probably a red sex link cross.

The black one could be a number of things. Maybe an Australorp cross since that breed seems to be the most common of black varieties.

The black one could be a number of things. Maybe an Australorp cross since that breed seems to be the most common of black varieties.
Thank you for the guesses! They are sweet girls. I do know that the girls came from 2 hens, each had hatched 4 chicks. He gave me 5 of the 8. I’m not going to worry about what they are, I will just enjoy them!

Thank you so much for your input!

Thank you for the guesses! They are sweet girls. I do know that the girls came from 2 hens, each had hatched 4 chicks. He gave me 5 of the 8. I’m not going to worry about what they are, I will just enjoy them!

Thank you so much for your input!
You're welcome! They are nice and healthy and I hope you get lots of eggs from them.

I’ve got 5 mixed breed hens that hatched at the end of June that were given to me 2 weeks ago . Can anyone with a more experienced eye tell me what these girls may be mixes of? (They were a gift for my silkie roo who was hatched on May 16th). I do not have to know what they are because everyone is happy and content but I am really curious! Thanks in advance for any input/guesses, etc! (I am only attaching one picture of the black hen, as she and my other girl are identical except one has white underwings and the other doesn’t and I cannot yet tell them apart in photos)

I have 2 that look almost identical to #3 & 4 and they're from an Australorp hen and a Cooper Maran/Olive egger roo

#4 reminds me of Orpington mixes I have running around. Good chance that's in her ancestry (Australorp just means Australian Orpington)

The 4th one looks just like my Blue Australorp BSL mix.

Back
Top Bottom