Mixed coop- new chicks and established hens- what to feed?

Hennyhoneys

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2022
Hi there!

Wondering what folks do when integrating their young chicks into the established flock- when it comes to feeding? Im thinking of feeding everyone the chick starter feed until the chicks no longer need it… Any concerns with this idea? I can’t think of any ways to feed them separately!

Thanks!

I feed chick 18% starter/grower crumble in troughs and an equal volume of 22% fermented broiler mash in a heated dog bowl. For life. I keep 2 containers of oyster shell available at all times for active layers. No need to change anything. Ever. This keeps the flock on a higher percentage of protein and can keep roosters, cockerels, pre-POL pullets and chicks as the flock dynamics and needs change.

Last edited:
I feed chick 18% starter/grower crumble in troughs and an equal volume of 20% fermented broiler mash in a heated dog bowl. For life. I keep 2 containers of oyster shell available at all times for active layers. No need to change anything. Ever. This keeps the flock on a higher percentage of protein and can keep roosters, cockerels, pre-POL pullets and chicks as the flock dynamics and needs change.
Thanks! So does everyone eat both? And magically get what they need?
I’ve also read that some keep everyone on a 20% protein and keep the calcium supplements nearby at all times.

Wondering what folks do when integrating their young chicks into the established flock- when it comes to feeding? Im thinking of feeding everyone the chick starter feed until the chicks no longer need it… Any concerns with this idea? I can’t think of any ways to feed them separately!

That should be fine. Chick starter is safe for chickens of all ages. They can eat it their whole lives if you want.

I see you've already read that laying hens need extra calcium, and a separate dish of oyster shell is a good way to provide that. Chickens are pretty good at self-regulating calcium, so the layers will probably eat enough and the chicks should mostly ignore it (of course they'll take a few bites because they are curious, but that won't hurt them.)

Thanks! So does everyone eat both? And magically get what they need?

No magic about it, in the example with 18% chick starter and 20% broiler grower. A chicken of any age could eat just one, or just the other, or any combination, and each of those options would provide what they need. The separate dishes of oyster shell take care of the extra calcium for the laying hens.

A lot of people on this forum (myself included) feed the whole flock an all flock type of feed, which is good for chickens of all ages (I use Purina Flock Raiser, 20% protein), plus calcium in a separate container. That takes care of all chickens at all life stages, and you don't have to worry about who eats what when.

Back
Top Bottom