Mixed flock can I feed flock feed?

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
Hi everyone! As title say I have a mixed flock. They include heritage breeds of layers, meat birds, Narragansett turkeys, a pair of African geese and guinea hens. They all get their own place to sleep at night and free range during the day. They either provide us with eggs or meat.

I’ve been buying layer feed, meat maker for turkeys, chick crumbles for younger ones, and quality scratch. I also give them veggies.

While they are in their different coops they eat their own feed but once they are let out they eat each other’s feed! And we are having a lot of waste!
Can I give all of them an “all flock” feed except the chicks? (I know chicks need high protein feed when young,) during the day and when in their coop they can have their specialty food?
Actually, can I give them all the same all flock feed? All the time. Except the chicks, and not worry about giving each breed the different feeds? I think I would be saving money. But I am concern that maybe the layers will not lay, the meat birds will not grow properly, especially the turkeys,etc. I do provide everyone with extra calcium with veggies. Your opinions and observations are appreciated. Thank you.

If you have young turkey poults, they will need higher protein for a bit but all flock should be good for chicks if the size of the crumble isn't too big for baby chicks.

We’ve raised over 200 meat chickens and we never take them off meat bird feed, now I know others have, it works that way for us. However, we feed our layers, ducks, geese, and turkeys all flock raiser offering oyster shell and grit varieties in a free will dish on the side.

Hi everyone! As title say I have a mixed flock. They include heritage breeds of layers, meat birds, Narragansett turkeys, a pair of African geese and guinea hens. They all get their own place to sleep at night and free range during the day. They either provide us with eggs or meat.

I’ve been buying layer feed, meat maker for turkeys, chick crumbles for younger ones, and quality scratch. I also give them veggies.

While they are in their different coops they eat their own feed but once they are let out they eat each other’s feed! And we are having a lot of waste!
Can I give all of them an “all flock” feed except the chicks? (I know chicks need high protein feed when young,) during the day and when in their coop they can have their specialty food?
Actually, can I give them all the same all flock feed? All the time. Except the chicks, and not worry about giving each breed the different feeds? I think I would be saving money. But I am concern that maybe the layers will not lay, the meat birds will not grow properly, especially the turkeys,etc. I do provide everyone with extra calcium with veggies. Your opinions and observations are appreciated. Thank you.
Yes you can i had the same issue in my main coop i have chickens, ducks, bunnies and guineas 8roos they all get extra and i put oyster shells and egg shells mixed in a separate bowl for the laying pullets/hens

Yes you can i had the same issue in my main coop i have chickens, ducks, bunnies and guineas 8roos they all get extra and i put oyster shells and egg shells mixed in a separate bowl for the laying pullets/hens
You have rabbits with your chickens? I thought about it, but couldn’t figure out how.

You have rabbits with your chickens? I thought about it, but couldn’t figure out how.
Yup I make my feed so essentially they eat the same thing you just have to make sure you give the bunnies enough hay i built mine a little alcove that the chicks a bantams can get into but my big pullets and the ducks and guinea can't get into and they have under the ramp and the entire coop and run to roam around in and if the birds get on there nerves they go in there alcove and chill

Attachments

• 20200909_175505.jpg
    20200909_175505.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200909_175500.jpg
    20200909_175500.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200909_175345.jpg
    20200909_175345.jpg
    857.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200909_110155.jpg
    20200909_110155.jpg