Mixing an older bird with three chicks for new flock?

Nov 30, 2021
This will be my first time with chicks, they'll arrive in April. I am wondering if it's possible to have three babies and one older hen from the get go for a new flock? I would like a bantam sized hen as well as the standard chicks I have ordered. Thoughts on having older hen with three little ones? I don't have any birds at the moment so they'll all be new in a fresh coop/run.

There is nothing wrong with a mixed aged flock. Though it would be wise until the chicks are fully feathered (about 2 months) or even up to 4 months before having a mature hen mixed in. Especially since you currently have no chickens. Reason being that depending on the attitude of the mature hen, she may attack the chicks. You want the chicks older so they can take care of themselves. Or you can get the mature hen but keep the chicks in a brooder until they are ready (about 2 months old).

There is nothing wrong with a mixed aged flock. Though it would be wise until the chicks are fully feathered (about 2 months) or even up to 4 months before having a mature hen mixed in. Especially since you currently have no chickens. Reason being that depending on the attitude of the mature hen, she may attack the chicks. You want the chicks older so they can take care of themselves. Or you can get the mature hen but keep the chicks in a brooder until they are ready (about 2 months old).
thanks for the info, makes sense. I would feel bad just having a single hen out there so I would likely wait until they could all get along safely. thoughts for quarantining an older hen w/ youngin's?

I have a good amount of experience with is.. introducing new birds of all ages. Chicks are more vulnerable to disease. When you buy your mature hen, make sure you do a physical examination, ask about the current feed, medical history of the hen and flock, any mites/parasites that are known, (I also ask about lawn/garden care to see if they have been exposed to chemicals) and plus any medication. If you get the hen later, there is extra immunity boosts that you can buy at the feed store or do naturally to "strengthen" the chicks.. if the hen passes a bill of health it should be fine introducing them. Or you can separate the hen for a few days to a week and see if any developments of illness come up.

I have a good amount of experience with is.. introducing new birds of all ages. Chicks are more vulnerable to disease. When you buy your mature hen, make sure you do a physical examination, ask about the current feed, medical history of the hen and flock, any mites/parasites that are known, (I also ask about lawn/garden care to see if they have been exposed to chemicals) and plus any medication. If you get the hen later, there is extra immunity boosts that you can buy at the feed store or do naturally to "strengthen" the chicks.. if the hen passes a bill of health it should be fine introducing them. Or you can separate the hen for a few days to a week and see if any developments of illness come up.
very helpful, thank you!

This will be my first time with chicks, they'll arrive in April. I am wondering if it's possible to have three babies and one older hen from the get go for a new flock? I would like a bantam sized hen as well as the standard chicks I have ordered. Thoughts on having older hen with three little ones? I don't have any birds at the moment so they'll all be new in a fresh coop/run.
I have done this before a while ago, it is possible but expect little fights from both the older hen and younger chicks. Do not expect them to get along right away (This also depends on the birds individually). Try not to separate them unless there is blood shed and feather plucking because they are trying to establish a pecking order. This next step might not be nessessary because of your smaller numbers but if there is fighting over feeders and waters try scatter feeding and multiple water and feed areas available so they don’t get defensive over a specific one. The chicks most likely will not be the problem but the older hen might it depends. The only thing I’ve seen young chicks do is test the hen a little with some pecking. Also definitely suggest waiting till chicks are fully feathered.

Back
Top Bottom