Mixing different age chicks????

cassada2604

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Indianapolis
I purchased 3 female New Hampshire Red chicks on Saturday and 2 female Buff Orpingtons today. I have the 3 reds in a large dog cage in the garage. I dont have the heat lamp on but the temp is 90 degrees. Should I have the heat lamp on the young ones? Also, when can I mix them together? I put the Buffs in with the Reds and they started pecking them. Please help!

Once it gets cooler at night you should probably have the heat lamp for the young ones. It can be tricky to mix chics, but the good news is that the buffs will grow bigger than the reds. I would say give it about a week and try introducing them again when you have some time to spend with them to supervise. Another idea is to find a time when the reds are asleep to put the buffs in with them.

Last edited:
scratch'n'peck :

Once it get cooler at night you should probably have the heat lamp for the young ones. It can be tricky to mix chics, but the good news is that the buffs will grow bigger than the reds. I would say give it about a week and try introducing them again when you have some time to spend with them to supervise. Another idea is to find a time when the reds are asleep to put the buffs in with them.

Thank you for the advise. I will try this!​

Back
Top Bottom