Molting behavior wats normal?

Kk1990

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
My baby bird is going through her first molt. As soon as I noticed her head and neck was missing but she had pin feathers i realized she was molting. I'm worried because as soon as this started she has non stopped starting pulling feathers out like literally from sunrise to sunset is this normal behavior? And what can I do to help her🙁

Welcome To BYC

How old is your baby bird?

Please post some photos?

Do you see new feathers coming in where she's been pulling out the others? Birds will preen when they molt to help loosen those that are going to be replaced.
Shes around 14 months or so shes a cripple lost 2 toes and has curled feet i saved her from the flock and shes just my lil baby bird now she was free range had to build her a coop and she is not happy about it she has a history of pulling her feathers out but it looks different this time on her head and neck she won't let me get a good look at her today and there's a storm so this is the only pics I could get today oh and she hasn't laid in 2weeks

Attachments

• 20220705_135940.jpg
    20220705_135940.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220705_135931.jpg
    20220705_135931.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 5
My chicken Cheesey Poof is going through a molt and is missing the same exact feathers as yours. Pulling out feathers is normal, it helps with the itching. The molt will pass soon.

My chicken Cheesey Poof is going through a molt and is missing the same exact feathers as yours. Pulling out feathers is normal, it helps with the itching. The molt will pass soon.
Thank you so much I feel much better trying my best to keep this lil cripple healthy it has been a challenge want to slowly move her feet back into position but it always seems like she's going thru something else when I want to fix her toes shes been all drama that lil bird lol 😆 I love her tho ❤

Shes around 14 months or so shes a cripple lost 2 toes and has curled feet i saved her from the flock and shes just my lil baby bird now she was free range had to build her a coop and she is not happy about it she has a history of pulling her feathers out but it looks different this time on her head and neck she won't let me get a good look at her today and there's a storm so this is the only pics I could get today oh and she hasn't laid in 2weeks
Looks like molting to me. It usually starts at the head and progresses downward.
You will see her preen out the loose feathers, the keratin sheaths that around the new feathers coming in, etc.
Do make sure she's got a dust bathing area, she will like that and it will help.

She's not going to like being handled during molt, it can be painful for them.
So don't handle her right now unless it's absolutely necessary, once she's feathered back in, then she'll feel better.

Most do stop laying eggs during molt, their energy is focused on growing new feathers instead of producing eggs. She may benefit from a little extra protein during molt, a treat of egg, fish or meat in addition to her normal feed would be good.

She looks like a Sweetheart!

Looks like molting to me. It usually starts at the head and progresses downward.
You will see her preen out the loose feathers, the keratin sheaths that around the new feathers coming in, etc.
Do make sure she's got a dust bathing area, she will like that and it will help.

She's not going to like being handled during molt, it can be painful for them.
So don't handle her right now unless it's absolutely necessary, once she's feathered back in, then she'll feel better.

Most do stop laying eggs during molt, their energy is focused on growing new feathers instead of producing eggs. She may benefit from a little extra protein during molt, a treat of egg, fish or meat in addition to her normal feed would be good.

She looks like a Sweetheart!
Thank you i will get her a dust bath area going for her only it does look so uncomfortable for her 😔 she is a funny gal once the garden came in I couldn't let her free roam and she throws a fit when she cnt come hang with us had 2 brahmas around for a while one got ahold of her ripped her side open I got rid of them but she plucked her wings out it caused her stress will she get her wings back finally I hope poor thing shes a wrk in progress but I love her

Back
Top Bottom