Molting chicken getting picked on

Jkujawa

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2020
I have a flock of five and one is molting. Everything was fine until one chicken in particular started picking and pulling feathers out. It went downhill quick especially one blood was drawn and now she won’t leave the molting hen alone. Any suggestions? Should I separate the problem chicken for a few days?

I have a flock of five and one is molting. Everything was fine until one chicken in particular started picking and pulling feathers out. It went downhill quick especially one blood was drawn and now she won’t leave the molting hen alone. Any suggestions? Should I separate the problem chicken for a few days?
I would separate the molting hen for a while to give her a chance to grow in more feathers and gain a little confidence back in place where she cannot have her feathers picked.
What are you feeding the flock? Are any others molting? Try offering the flock a tin of sardines 3 or 4 times a week.

Any update with your situation? I have a flock of five and the same thing happening. We're in the middle of a blizzard and I had to bring my molting hen into the basement - they were starting to draw blood. :( I just don't know how long to keep her separated (and am worried about reintroducing her).

Back
Top Bottom