molting hen??

chickorama

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
I think our GLW is molting, but usually they molt in the summer, right?
She was broody since about June-July, and is still sitting on eggs, but is very weird looking. We were thinking that maybe her sense of time is off because of being broody. We are not sure if she is molting because she has not only lost her top coat, but also lots of her bottom coat. She has bare patches here and there, or spots with just feather shafts starting to grow in. I noticed this yesterday, because her feathers were all over the chicken house. She is scraggly and raggedy. Has this happened to anyone else???

Yup, I have nine hens molting right now. Sure, messed up my egg supply.

edited for spelling because I'm watching a movie while typing.

Last edited:
Some of mine are in the middle of a really heavy molt (no eggs
hit.gif
). I don't know why it came so late this year. Maybe it has to do with the screwy weather we've been getting.
idunno.gif

Since the middle of last month I've had a total of 8 hens and one roo go thru a moult. Two look really bad right now. Bare in some spots except for the new feather shafts.
Seems lots of people have moulting chickens right now.

Last edited:
I know I have a few that are molting right now but only in 2 of the Araucana pens. No other breeds at this time are doing that nor our other Araucana pen.
One hen is in a tractor and the others in a permanent coop but it looks like a massive chicken killing in there!
gig.gif

I feel so bad for the girls I want to put little coats on them! I opened the tractor door last night and my hen was all cuddled underneath her roo. Just too cute, I'm telling you! Usually she sleeps on the roost while he sleeps on the floor. That is one woman that knows how to use her man!
bow.gif

Incidentally, he is called #2 (because that is all he would ever place in the shows) and she is called Wife of #2. Cute couple.
love.gif

omelette'smom :

Is it unusual for them to moult in subzero temps? why so late in the year? their coop isn't heated. are we in for a long winter??

I have a feeling it's going to be a reallyyyyyyy long winter. Our nut trees are so full they have large branches breaking from the load. The old-timers say that's a definite sign of bad things to come.
I've upped the protein for my chickens hoping to help them grow the new feathers faster. It seems to be working. I don't want them to be bare any longer than they have to be.​

Back
Top Bottom