Molting

Egfhandmade

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
Hi,
I have chickens younger than a year old. I read online that they won't molt this year so now I have even more questions. I currently feed them a 50/50 mix of all flock and layer feed. I have a rooster and didn't want him eating 100% layer feed but I want my hens to have some. It seems to be working really well. If they won't molt this year I assume their egg production will still decrease with the decreased light. Is that correct? And if so, should I continue with the 50/50 mix or could I do 100% all flock?

Thanks!

I currently feed them a 50/50 mix of all flock and layer feed. I have a rooster and didn't want him eating 100% layer feed but I want my hens to have some.
You should be offering oyster shell on the side at one or two different locations. Free choice feeding.
That being said, I would not purchase any more layer feed and just feed straight All Flock as this feeding practice covers you for all times of the year and all types of chickens in your flock.

You should be offering oyster shell on the side at one or two different locations. Free choice feeding.
That being said, I would not purchase any more layer feed and just feed straight All Flock as this feeding practice covers you for all times of the year and all types of chickens in your flock.
Thanks! That is really helpful! This is my first year and I want to provide them with the best nutrition possible!

I want to provide them with the best nutrition possible!
I offer meat protein during molts in the form of a tin of sardines or a can of tuna 3 times a week. I offer it weekly outside the molt just for the meat protein boost. The chickens always come running when I dole out the fermented feed hoping to find meat mixed in it.

Hey! You're right; decreased daylight can affect egg production. If you're not expecting a molt, you can switch to 100% all flock temporarily. It provides balanced nutrition for non-laying periods. When egg production picks up, you can switch back to your mix.

Back
Top Bottom