Mom laid an egg!

aldanfac

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Maryland, USA
Hi guys I am so excited but a little confused, I got this hen with her chicks from a friend who raises chickens and I was prepared for her to be a mom for a while but today she just laid an egg! It’s so cute and i’m so happy but does this mean she’s done with her chicks or just ready to be moved away from them? Her chicks are about 3-4 weeks old now doesn’t that seem a bit young for a broody mom to be laying again? There’s absolutely no issues and she’s still being a great mom but I am interested. I had chickens in the past and they didn’t start laying again until the chicks moved on. Anything i should do? Here’s pictures of mom with her babies and her little egg because who doesn’t love pictures!!
4B53151F-07E2-43AA-B990-30B2EBFC55F9.jpeg
0F341300-B569-479C-ACE5-B224F5D7E213.jpeg
E464BFC7-D780-4F97-B955-EDD6EC549584.jpeg

Generally speaking yes, when the mother starts to lay eggs again it's a sign that she is likely to let the chicks fend for themselves soon.
But, I've had a few hens that still cared for their chicks and laid eggs. One hen in particular didn't really abandon her chicks at all. The chicks just sort of grew away from mum. It took almost nine weeks before the mum returned to the tribe coop with her chicks and the chicks still hung around her for another couple of weeks after that.
Here is a hen who has started to lay eggs again and her chick stayed with her until the time ccame when the chick would wait somewhere while mum laid and mum would collect her when she was done.
cover-image

Generally speaking yes, when the mother starts to lay eggs again it's a sign that she is likely to let the chicks fend for themselves soon.
But, I've had a few hens that still cared for their chicks and laid eggs. One hen in particular didn't really abandon her chicks at all. The chicks just sort of grew away from mum. It took almost nine weeks before the mum returned to the tribe coop with her chicks and the chicks still hung around her for another couple of weeks after that.
Here is a hen who has started to lay eggs again and her chick stayed with her until the time ccame when the chick would wait somewhere while mum laid and mum would collect her when she was done.
cover-image
Awww they are too cute! and thank you for your help! I am excited to see how she does! And so happy to have eggs 😁

Back
Top Bottom