Momma hen laying again, but not kicking out chick?

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
My bantam cochin went broody so I let her sit on a few eggs. Unfortunately, only one chick made it. I tried to give her more chicks, but she would not take them. 🤷‍♀️

Fast forward 5 weeks. Mom has begun laying again, but the chick is still following her around. The little one will sit right in the nesting box with her when she lays.

I've been concerned she would peck at or attack the chick, but she seems to allow it with a general air of apathy. She does not go on the roosting bar with the other hens at night, instead choosing to sleep in an unused nesting box with the chick.

I've never seen this before, all my other momma hens would kick their chicks to the curb before resuming laying. Should I be concerned or just leave them be? Is this more normal than I thought?

ETA - feel I should also mention that this chick is still very small, which is normal being a bantam, but he or she is still not fully feathered. Maybe that's why mom is allowing it?

I think because she only had one chick they formed a tight bond. Some hens kick the chicks out early and some late. My cochins and seramas keep their chicks around until 8-10weeks before the chicks "leave". Some stay pals forever and never leave each others side. Is the chick male or female?

I think because she only had one chick they formed a tight bond. Some hens kick the chicks out early and some late. My cochins and seramas keep their chicks around until 8-10weeks before the chicks "leave". Some stay pals forever and never leave each others side. Is the chick male or female?
To be honest I'm not 100% sure. I'm leaning girl at this point because usually my bantam baby boys start making themselves obviously early, but I really worry this one is a bit of a runt and may just be getting there slowly.

Back
Top Bottom