Momma quit

Whitechicks2020

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
Ok so my momma just hatched two eggs and had one left and she just stopped laying on it. I assumed it was dead I candled it and there is definitely a baby jumping around in there. At about 4 days with her other eggs I realized she was stealing more eggs so marked the ones I thought she had originally and kept taking away daily the ones she stole, anyway she no longer is paying attention to this one since two of her eggs hatched and the babies are running away. That would put this egg at day 20 by my calculations but candling it looks a little smaller. I brought it in put it in our incubator in lockdown temp and humidity but I’m concerned it might not be developed enough. Was that the right thing or should I have left it in the turned a couple days? I’m at a loss because it’s moving so well and momma is done! Again this is the first broody I have had so just did what I felt right any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance

Ok so my momma just hatched two eggs and had one left and she just stopped laying on it. I assumed it was dead I candled it and there is definitely a baby jumping around in there. At about 4 days with her other eggs I realized she was stealing more eggs so marked the ones I thought she had originally and kept taking away daily the ones she stole, anyway she no longer is paying attention to this one since two of her eggs hatched and the babies are running away. That would put this egg at day 20 by my calculations but candling it looks a little smaller. I brought it in put it in our incubator in lockdown temp and humidity but I’m concerned it might not be developed enough. Was that the right thing or should I have left it in the turned a couple days? I’m at a loss because it’s moving so well and momma is done! Again this is the first broody I have had so just did what I felt right any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance
You did the best you could have IMO.
Not marking broody eggs and removing all new eggs from the nest daily is one of the biggest mistakes newbies make when allowing a hen to set.
It is perfectly normal for the mother to abandon unhatched eggs 24 to 48 hours after the first chick hatches.
You will likely have to raise the chick though. You could try to brood it with a brooding plate right in the coop near mom and the others. When it gets older and much more mobile, she may very well accept it into her brood.
I had a broody adopt 6 bantam chicks that were 3 weeks older than her chick when I removed the bantam chicks mother as she was abusing them. But she sat on her nest and watched those 6 chicks for a week before her egg finally hatched.
You're hen is in the opposite situation. You will be trying to get her to accept a YOUNGER chick. But if she can see it behind the wire and her two chicks show any interest in the chick, she may take it.

You did the best you could have IMO.
Not marking broody eggs and removing all new eggs from the nest daily is one of the biggest mistakes newbies make when allowing a hen to set.
It is perfectly normal for the mother to abandon unhatched eggs 24 to 48 hours after the first chick hatches.
You will likely have to raise the chick though. You could try to brood it with a brooding plate right in the coop near mom and the others. When it gets older and much more mobile, she may very well accept it into her brood.
I had a broody adopt 6 bantam chicks that were 3 weeks older than her chick when I removed the bantam chicks mother as she was abusing them. But she sat on her nest and watched those 6 chicks for a week before her egg finally hatched.
You're hen is in the opposite situation. You will be trying to get her to accept a YOUNGER chick. But if she can see it behind the wire and her two chicks show any interest in the chick, she may take it.
I couldn’t have said it better.

Back
Top Bottom