Mosquito repellant spray safe for chickens?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
My chickens have dry fowl pox.. and some of my fancy pigeons have pigeon pox.

In the coop at night there are so many mosquitoes.. even biting me... I can hear them buzzing everywhere.

Its become such a problem because our neighbour farmer friend has created a buffalo wallow right over the fence next to my coop!!!!!

The poor birds are uncomfortable at night fidgeting because of the mosquitos biting them.

The coop and run are so big and lots of wire mesh.... It will be impossible to 100 percent mosquito net proof the thing.. although I am going to try.

Until I can fix It up can I use some spray mosquito repellant?

I have some natural mosquito spray made from lemon grass and plant oils which I use on myself.

Its safe for human skin.. can I spray it on my birds or on the roosts and nesting boxes? Or will the fumes be bad for their breathing?

Thanks.

I'd spray the entire coop from floor to ceiling with Permethrin. It is the same active ingredient in flea and tick shampoo, and can be used to treat mites on chickens, so it is safe to use in their coop. Anything less is unlikely to have the desired effect. You could also dust the chickens with Sevin. I think putting screen over the hardware cloth on the window vents might help too.

My chickens have dry fowl pox.. and some of my fancy pigeons have pigeon pox.

In the coop at night there are so many mosquitoes.. even biting me... I can hear them buzzing everywhere.

Its become such a problem because our neighbour farmer friend has created a buffalo wallow right over the fence next to my coop!!!!! 

The poor birds are uncomfortable at night fidgeting because of the mosquitos biting them. 

The coop and run are so big and lots of wire mesh.... It will be impossible to 100 percent mosquito net proof the thing.. although I am going to try.

Until I can fix It up can I use some spray mosquito repellant?

I have some natural mosquito spray made from lemon grass and plant oils which I use on myself. 

Its safe for human skin.. can I spray it on my birds or on the roosts and nesting boxes?  Or will the fumes be bad for their breathing?

Thanks. 

Yes, absolutely! I had the best results this summer with vanillin mixed with rosemary oil... I started with a "natural" Repel that had eucalyptus, lemongrass, and geraniol in it, and it worked well too.

I cut the vanillin into a 1 part vanillin/10 parts water, then a few drops of rosemary oil, and I sprayed each hen and the roosts down daily. Helped immensely!

I only use organic certified agents, so permethrin is out of the question, and Sevin is obviously WAY out if the question ;) If you're in the same boat as I, then by all means douse those girls with some extracts and get rid of those Skeeter's :D

Yes, absolutely! I had the best results this summer with vanillin mixed with rosemary oil... I started with a "natural" Repel that had eucalyptus, lemongrass, and geraniol in it, and it worked well too.

I cut the vanillin into a 1 part vanillin/10 parts water, then a few drops of rosemary oil, and I sprayed each hen and the roosts down daily. Helped immensely!

I only use organic certified agents, so permethrin is out of the question, and Sevin is obviously WAY out if the question
wink.png
If you're in the same boat as I, then by all means douse those girls with some extracts and get rid of those Skeeter'
Thanks.. tonight I am going to give the coop a good spray and also the birds themselves lightly on their backs and legs.

I don't use any chemicals on my property.. its all organic.. I have an organic mango orchard and also some lychee trees.

The only parasites my chickens sometimes get are scaly leg mites. I treat the legs with vegetable oil which works well.

They never have other mites or lice, fleas, etc. They get to dust bath every day.. and like to use the ashes of any fires we had... I think that helps them.

I have never wormed them or treated them for any other parasites.. and they are all very fat, healthy birds.. laying lots of eggs and raising lots of chicks. Never vaccinated them either. Sometimes I loose a few chicks to various things... including fowl pox.. But most recover quickly. So I have bred my birds for resistance to diseases and only the fittest survive to reproduce.

Many of my birds are over 7 years old and still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom