Most disease resistant breeds

Here’s an article that basically sums up my feelings on this subject quite well. It talks about Newcastle but the jist is the same. I don’t want to get political but so many of our “modern, first world problems” can be tied to factory farming and I’m genuinely afraid that in 20 years, the only way you could raise chickens is if they’re vaccinated.

We clearly have Marek's in our flock and probably something else (did not practice biosecurity when building flock). Out of 27 birds we have lost 9 to disease in the last year. It has been hard on the kids. They seem to go about one every month or so and all are slightly different. We want to replenish our flock in the spring so are planning to get chicks from a hatchery that uses the 3 type vaccine for best results.

The big question is what bread(s) should we get. Biggest factor is disease resistance if such a thing exists between breeds. Second factor is that we live in Phoenix and need breeds that can tolerate heat.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Our 2020 x-mas card front and back
View attachment 2902733
View attachment 2902732
Hey there, have you read about Lymphoma Leucosis? I thought I had Marek’s for a while but then found that and determined it was more likely to be the Lymphoma because my birds were older when it started, and it didn’t take out half my flock. Either way, I’m not adding new birds to my flock until they all die off and I can sanitize appropriately because I don’t want to knowingly keep spreading a deadly virus.

Welcome!
Years ago we had a scare about possibly having that virus here, and were able to have all our birds, and a friend's birds, tested for it. And all were negative, wonderful!
Check with your state veterinary path lab about available testing.
Mary

We clearly have Marek's in our flock and probably something else (did not practice biosecurity when building flock). Out of 27 birds we have lost 9 to disease in the last year. It has been hard on the kids. They seem to go about one every month or so and all are slightly different. We want to replenish our flock in the spring so are planning to get chicks from a hatchery that uses the 3 type vaccine for best results.

The big question is what bread(s) should we get. Biggest factor is disease resistance if such a thing exists between breeds. Second factor is that we live in Phoenix and need breeds that can tolerate heat.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Our 2020 x-mas card front and back
View attachment 2902733
View attachment 2902732
Someone asked for an update so here it is:

We took 4 new precautions with this batch of birds.

1) Based on information I learned from various sources it seems like even though the chicks are vaccinated they need to be isolated from the virus for 5 weeks to build immunity. So, when we got them, they stayed in our tub then walk in shower for 5 full weeks and nobody was allowed into the bathroom unless they had just taken a shower. This kept them isolated from the outside and anyone tracking the virus into their area. It was hard and afterwards we needed to have a plumber snake our drain from all the hay even though I put duct tape over the drain.

2) I gave them a vaccine booster at 2.5 weeks. I basically followed the directions I found on BackYardChickens and a few YouTube videos. Again, it was not easy or cheap, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

3) We got landrace breeds. We got 3 Egyptian Fayoumi, 2 Sumatra, and 3 Swedish Flower Hens. To see if this breed selection was a factor or not, we also got 2 Easter eggers. Since all 10 birds are still doing good, I think this factor is not the most important in our success. Note that what I read about Fayoumi's is pretty accurate and they are not very friendly, and they are good at getting away. The Sumatra's are very sweet but don't lay very well. The Swedish Flower Hens are our new favorite, very pretty and sweet as well.

4) I have been giving them RopaPoultry Oregano Oil+ Supplement. I tried it out when we were trying to save our last sick bird and although it did not save our bird it had an amazing effect on one of our other birds. This bird we named "big comb" for obvious reasons and when we put them on the Oregano Oil her comb went from flopped over to straight up. When we ran out it flopped over again. So, I have been giving it ever since. Pretty expensive but we now realize that keeping chickens is not going to make us rich, rats!

Good luck to you!
-Harlan

I look forward to my brown leghorn chicks joining the flock. They're 2 week old today and already flying around inside the brooder! The hatchery I ordered from was out of Fayoumi's or I would have gotten a few of them.The brown leghorn has a natural immunity to disease thats robust and isn't considered an industrial breed like the white.

I think you are still in AZ so I am officially requesting to please keep us updated! Both on how your new birds do in the possible presence of the virus, and how all these breeds handle the summer. I would love to find out :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom