mother hen ate newly hatched chick

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I worked for an old farmer growing up. He sold goat and cows milk, eggs, catfish, P.O.A ponies, mules, donkeys. game chickens, ducks, piglets, barn cats and hearding dogs and veggies. With the exception of a donkey, bad mommas got shot or ate. No time for such silliness he said. Why waste time and money on a phsyco. I learned alot from that cranky old man. LOL.

yesterday I bought 2 Ameraucana chicks to keep my Viking chick company
smile.png

60955_dscn1298.jpg

I have 2 D'Anvers that for the last 21 days has shared a nest this morning they started to hatch. I went out a little bit ago and 4 babies had hatched 2 were pecked so bad we had to cull them. I took the remaining 2 and the pipped egg and put in the incubator. The last chick hatched about half an hour ago. I'll put them in the brooder soon. It really surprised me as when my Australorp went broody she was such a good mom. I'm so sorry you are going through this too. Trust me I dont think I will ever let those girls set again.

oh wow! that is so sad and terrible that you are experiencing the same thing
barnie.gif

my eggs were under a broody cochin, I will never use her again either
hmm.png

I had a beautiful white baby Silkie hatch last night. It's gone this morning and half of the egg shell. So mad at myself that I left it under this mama. She is so friendly. No idea this could happen.

My chick isn’t dry yet but he’s pecking at an egg whitch pipped by itself but now it’s bloody and I saw him peck at it. Am I seeing what I think I am?

Back
Top Bottom