Mouse in Chicken run help!

Rosieposie6

Chirping
Dec 3, 2023
Jumping on here to see if anyone has had a mouse in run and how did you get it out. I can’t use mouse traps for fear of chickens getting hurt so any suggestions would help. I have to leave their food and water in run overnight since we are going out of town but any suggestions I’d really appreciate it! I did read chickens can kill a small mouse but don’t they carry diseases! Yikes

What kind of run do you have?
I wouldn’t stress out too much about your hens killing the mouse, they’ll end up eating mice no matter what if they’re outside. I think they’ve got the souls and bloodlust of velociraptors in those tiny bodies!

Search this forum and the one on feeding and watering using the search term Howard E and rats. Or just chickens and rats and wade through hundreds and hundreds of discussions on this topic. If your time is limited, find Howard E.'s posts including one called Rats 101. You will be bombarded with silly advice and old wives tales, ignore them. You have a three step process, doing step one right means step two isn't needed by the way. Sanitation, exclusion, and lastly elimination.

If you see one mouse, you have dozens. Deal with it now to prevent building up a colony that has to go somewhere once you figure out that you have to stop feeding the mice before they go away.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom