Mouth breathing after being out in the rain for 45 minutes. Is it stress?

Vampire Gardener

Chirping
Apr 25, 2023
I had to leave the house and left my husband to watch our 10 week old chickens and it started to rain. I'm new to chickens and our run isn't attached to our coop so the chickens could only get under the tent but not completely away from the rain.

My husband doesn't pick them up and I couldn't get home for another 45 minutes. This is the first time they have been in the rain at all so I'm sure it confused them. Some were more wet than others, but I dried them off and moved them into a dry space.

I just noticed that some seem to be mouth breathing and the space they are in is not hot at all. Could it be stress related? Should I give them some of the vitamins that I have left over from the hatchery? Is it safe to give them vitamins often or should I reserve it for when their is stress or health issues of note?

Sometimes I've noticed a couple panting in the heat, but never once they are back in the temporary coop.

Thanks for your help.

They'll be fine, chickens can get wet and most like the rain. It might be a little scary if they don't remember rain but they'll be fine without treatment

Back
Top Bottom