Moved eggs from under broody chicken to incubator...

lilchik

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Rio, WV
I have been trying to hatch Muscovy eggs in an incubator with terrible results. I have hatched many types of chickens, Call ducks, and goose eggs with great hatch rates. Also read that Muscovy eggs do not do well in an incubator. so I decided to oder another batch of Muscovy eggs and put them under a broody chicken. I had 2 broody chickens at this time, so when the eggs came in yesterday I removed there eggs, placed them in the incubator, and put the Muscovy eggs under the chickens.

So now I need the estimate the chicken eggs hatch date so I know when to stop turning. I have printed the pictures from BYC of the eggs from day 1 to day 18. I will use them to get the most accurate age of the eggs by candling them and try to estimate the hatch date. If I am off a bit, how detrimental will it be to the eggs?

Any other suggestions on getting the hatch date as close as possible.

The chickens are a Silkie and Frizzle, both bantams, so I gave them each 6 Muscovy eggs to set on. I did't think they could handle more than that as the eggs are MUCH larger than their eggs.

How long have they already been broody? I ask because ducks take 28 days to hatch, not 21 like chickens. I would keep my eye on them, and if they get off the nest too often, bring them in to the bator.

One has been broody about 1 week or a little longer, the other only a couple days. muscovy eggs actually take 35 days to hatch. I did some research on chickens setting the extra amount of time, most felt as long as they get off to eat and drink daily it was okay. They do eat and drink water at least once daily for a few minutes at a time, plus when I take treats such as bread, they eat out of my hand or I place some in the nest and they eat it. I wil definately watch them and move the eggs to the incubator if needed.

Any other suggestions for estimating the hatch date?

Back
Top Bottom