Moveing with birds (chickens and geese)

LadyWolf44005

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Sadly, I need to move back to my home state Mi. Which can be a 7 to 8 hour drive. I have two male geese and 6 chickens. I am takeing them with me. How do I make them comfortable with less stress possible? What do I need to move them? What cage works best? How do I get them ready? Any tips would be of great help. Thank you

A dog crate big enough for all of them yet semi-tightly packed to give them more stability. Wire kennel would provide more air circulation, but semi-solid type would save the stress of actually seeing that they're moving. I'd probably opt for the semi-solid type if it were me. Keep your vehicle cooled, but do not have a vent blowing directly on them, poultry do not do well in windy, breezy circumstances. Do feed them before the trip, but do not feed them DURING the trip. Pointless to make the mess when they won't be thinking about food during the move. If at all possible, try to time your arrival to your new home (and prepared coop/run area) an hour or more before dusk to give them a chance to get a full belly and snoop around at their new 'digs'. They'll be interested in finding food, water, and a safe place to sleep in their new environment.
I hope that you and your feathered family enjoy your new home.

Think I'd put the geese in one crate and the chickens in another.
Keep the crates level.
What kind of vehicle will you be using?
Will the (new?) coop be ready when you arrive?
It's a truck/suv. Our goal is to have the coop ready when we get there. We still have not picked a house yet

After my mom visited michigan the state we are moveing to, the news was not good. There are barely any houses on the market. The only houses we can find are in suburbs. Were you cant keep birds and dog limet it 2. (We have 3 dogs) so I was wondering if you guys can add my family to your prayers or send us positive thoughts. I have hand raised every animal that we have. The thought of loosening any of them is soul ripping.

After my mom visited michigan the state we are moveing to, the news was not good. There are barely any houses on the market. The only houses we can find are in suburbs. Were you cant keep birds and dog limet it 2. (We have 3 dogs) so I was wondering if you guys can add my family to your prayers or send us positive thoughts. I have hand raised every animal that we have. The thought of loosening any of them is soul ripping.
I'll pray!!

Sadden to say, we could not find a home in the country. So I will need to rehome my chickens. I am going to try to get my geese to become emotional support animals.

Back
Top Bottom