Moving 4 wk old quail to garage - Heat questions.

If you plan to mix them I'd do it now. It's not easy mixing flocks and the younger the better. Just be prepared to step in because you're calm little birds turn in a flash when a newbie shows up. Mixing flocks is not easy
The younger ones are still smaller than my others. When I tried to combine them a few days ago the older ones picked on them and chased them around. Should I try again?

Hello! What part of Utah are you in?

I just posted this today, so we won't move them out until next week but I'm buying a heat lamp and we're going to transition them to the garage for 2 weeks before putting them directly outdoors.

We also have true blue celadon eggs hatching in 10 days, so we'll follow the same plan for them.
Ha! Should have checked the date first! I’m in Samak/Kamas UT. We will probably put them under our house that’s enclosed and slightly heated since we don’t have a garage. Where are you located? I would love to buy some Celadon chicks if you have any extra!

Ha! Should have checked the date first! I’m in Samak/Kamas UT. We will probably put them under our house that’s enclosed and slightly heated since we don’t have a garage. Where are you located? I would love to buy some Celadon chicks if you have any extra!
Oh my gosh! We love Samak/Kamas area ❤.

We are in South Jordan, so I imagine you're much colder than us still. What are your lows right now?

We are planning on breeding our Celadon chicks, but we may have extra in this hatch depending on how they sex.
We'll have to keep in touch. Do you have an IG account? I have a homesteading one you can find me on and we can talk. @bushel.and.a.peck.homestead

Should I wait until the younger ones are 4 weeks old then to move everyone out to the garage? They are at least 1 week behind... if not 10 days.
That depends on your set up. My wife usually tells me to start moving at 3 to 4 weeks because she can't take the smell in the house at that age. They should be more than ready to go out. I've had a hard time mixing flocks. What you may want to do is keep the 4 week ones in the garage and then move them all to the outside enclosure together. Once one group is in it anyone new becomes a territorial fight.

Back
Top Bottom