Moving 7 weekers outside, temps took a dive

Jdhite

Chirping
Sep 22, 2022
Winston-Salem, NC
Hey there! I've got 25 7 week older feather footed ladies in a large brooder in the garage. Most are fully feathered. My plan was to move them to their outdoor coop/pen this week, but our night temps will be down into the upper 20's. My plan was to keep them confined to the coop/small run for a week, then give them access to the coop and larger run, where they can see our existing flock through a fence, then integrate them when they're around 10-11 weeks. Do you think they'll be ok in the cold temperatures, provided I provide plenty of shavings? Coop is ventilated but not drafty, and we will close the door every night. TIA for your help!

Sorry I don't have Chicks but raised plenty of ducklings and once feathered they could withstand any cold temperature with no problem at all. They huddle together which is what I would think Chicks would do also. I am not sure how much they are alike but hopefully yours will all be just fine as our temps are low at night but then get up into the high 30's to as high as the 50's somedays. I think a lot would depend on what temperature they are in right now. If they are with a heat lamp and have been kept very warm it might be too much of a shock to them. Good luck with your decision.

If fully feathered they should be just fine in those temperatures. That being said, have you turned off/removed any heat lamps or brooder plates in their garage brooder? If you have not turn all other heat off and leave them in the garage for another few days then move them outside.
I've been turning it off during the day, and only on on cold nights. I'll remove all heat starting tonight! Thanks!!

I've had chicks go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit at 5-1/2 weeks old. Yours would easily survive those temperatures as long as that coop is well ventilated and a breeze does not directly blow on them. I don't think they would even be uncomfortable due to the cold.

I don't know what temperature that garage gets down to, whether it is heated, attached, or detached. It might make you feel better if you can get rid of all heat and watch them in colder temperatures. I understand people being nervous about what a stranger over the internet tells them and I don't blame them. If you can, put them in cold conditions and watch them so you can see for yourself. That can help your confidence more than anything else I can think of.

I've had chicks go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit at 5-1/2 weeks old. Yours would easily survive those temperatures as long as that coop is well ventilated and a breeze does not directly blow on them. I don't think they would even be uncomfortable due to the cold.

I don't know what temperature that garage gets down to, whether it is heated, attached, or detached. It might make you feel better if you can get rid of all heat and watch them in colder temperatures. I understand people being nervous about what a stranger over the internet tells them and I don't blame them. If you can, put them in cold conditions and watch them so you can see for yourself. That can help your confidence more than anything else I can think of.
I certainly trust what most folks on here say, and I appreciate your input! I think in my mind I know they'll be ok, but I always get nervous moving them, regardless of the circumstances.

I certainly trust what most folks on here say, and I appreciate your input! I think in my mind I know they'll be ok, but I always get nervous moving them, regardless of the circumstances.
I’m in the same boat as you. Located in central Jersey have 5 week olds and 2 week olds and moving them during next week (Wednesday probably) outside. They will have coop to them self with brooder for a little ones and heat (reptile) lamp for the keeping the coop comfortable another week. Week latter … the gates will open and it’s free for choosing (with my supervision and approval, lol). Will keep brooder on ,in one corner probably For another 3 weeks mostly for the little ones. I to appreciate knowledge experience and good will of chicken keepers whose advice is irreplaceable.

Well, tomorrow is the day! They've been in the garage with no heat for the past two days (lows of 28 outside). I've got their coop ready to go. Praying it goes well! Temps attached in case y'all see a reason for me to hold off!
3D3EC45B-EA00-4638-B45F-C5009896B34B.png

Well, tomorrow is the day! They've been in the garage with no heat for the past two days (lows of 28 outside). I've got their coop ready to go. Praying it goes well! Temps attached in case y'all see a reason for me to hold off!
I hope your move outdoors went well. We will get our chicks this week. We will keep them inside in a cardboard box for a couple days. Then they move along with their MHP to the in run brooder. Here is the expected weather for our area. This is similar to last year when they went out at less than a week old. Good luck

Attachments

• movingday.JPG
    movingday.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 8
I hope your move outdoors went well. We will get our chicks this week. We will keep them inside in a cardboard box for a couple days. Then they move along with their MHP to the in run brooder. Here is the expected weather for our area. This is similar to last year when they went out at less than a week old. Good luck
It went fine! Got down to 26 last night, and they were all bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning when I let them out! I didn't have any heat source to move outdoors with them, so I waited til they were 7 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom