Moving broody duck and her eggs to a new coop

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
One of my Welsh Harlequin ducks is a first time broody and has about 1 1/2 weeks left until her hatch is due. She's currently in a coop with another hen and a drake. They've been leaving her nest alone as far as I can tell, but I plan to move her out before the ducklings hatch. I would just move the drake out but the coop's ramp is too steep for ducklings to go up and down anyway.

I don't have another empty coop so the plan is to move her nest to a dog crate inside the duckling grow-out coop.

Would it be best to wait until right before hatch, or do it now so she gets used to the new area? Or even wait until the ducklings hatch? Is there a way to best move her so that she'll be more likely not to abandon the nest?

Attachments

• 20230614_185652.jpg
    20230614_185652.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 22
I have never been able to move a setting duck. I would wait until the ducklings hatch.
Okay, I can put the drake in a crate when the due date gets closer to make sure he won't go after them if they hatch in the night. Is there still a chance she might abandon the ducklings if they are moved after hatch, or is that only a problem with eggs?

Back
Top Bottom