Moving chickens in with sheep

I did a test today to see how my sheep react to a chicken in the barn and vice versa. It went fine and was kind of funny at first. While I was still holding the hen (Snowflake), one of my ewes walked up to her and stomped a few times (like she does when there is a predator), but once I put Snowflake down the ewe realized that it was just a chicken. The sheep were a little curious and tried to get in Snowflake's face a few times (which she didn't particularly like), but she walked away and minded her own business foraging in the barn bedding.

I'm almost done with the barn conversion. Hopefully I'll be able to move the chickens into the barn by the end of the week.

The chickens have been moved in with the sheep. The sheep seem to be just fine with it, but I think the chickens are a tad stressed (understandably), so I'll try to get some vitamins for them. The fencing I put around the chicken feeder does provide a safe space for them when they're scared of something (like me coming through the door).

There is one problem, though - the chickens are eating the sheep's hay (obviously no good for their crops). Have any ideas how to deter them from doing this? More chicken treats perhaps?

I use grass hay with my chickens all the time for bedding. They scratch through it and I pile it up again. I have had friends put an alfalfa hay bale in the coop in the fall to provide some greens. My chickens also eat a lot of grass, and I have never had crop issues.

I have seen where people have been against hay, but I had been using it for years without a problem before I came here to this site without a problem. In traditional farmyards, chickens were never kept out of the hay, and often followed the other animals, picking through their manure and waste hay. Just saying.

If you develop a problem you will need to do something different. But generally, I tend to think that chickens know more about it than I do what they should eat.

Mrs K

Thanks @Mrs. K . My chickens are not used to being around hay so I think they tend to eat too much when they get a chance. I worry about one hen who has had recurring crop impaction (she probably has other internal issues that cause slow crop). I will make sure the grit is very noticeable and easily accessible. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom