Moving Chickens Indoors to Avoid Predators

silkiespeckles

Hatching
Jan 21, 2022
Hello! I have two silkie hens that are kept in a fenced in run with a coop. That being said, I will have to travel soon and I had planned to just give them extra food and water. They also have an automatic door and are great about going into their coop at night before the door closes. However, I've had issues with stray cats stalking the silkies recently. I believe my coop and enclosure are predator proof but I'd rather not test that out while I'm away. It's manageable while I'm home as I can easily shoo the cats away when the silkies start sqwaking, but I don't feel comfortable leaving them alone now and my travel plans are not moveable (not leisure travel). I also don't have a contact that would be able to physically stay at my house and listen for the chicken alarm all day. Would it be reckless to create an enclosure in my garage for them while I'm away? I'm not sure if there's anything I'm missing with that and any potential risks or dangers with abruptly moving them indoors for a short period of time. Additionally, any advice on creating a safe indoor enclosure that won't leave them bored out of their minds would be appreciated.

Lastly, any tips for keeping cats away from the chickens? Although my neighbors have loud dogs that bark all day, I'd rather not contribute to neighborhood noise pollution via loud chicken alarms. My silkies are normally very quiet so I know this is stressing them out considerably. For context, I have tall fences closing in my yard already but the cats can scale them pretty easily.

I don't see any recklessness in your plan.

They will get dust everywhere, you might want to put dust covers (sheets or plastic) over your tools.

If you have a tub you can put sand in that they could use to take dust baths that would give them something to do and be relaxing.

Giving them some obsticals to hide under or behind or jump on would help.

Deeper bedding, maybe. Solid sides along the bottom to keep the bedding in.

A head of cabbage, maybe. That takes the longest for mine to eat. If you hang it it will take longer for the to eat, but look up how to safely hang it.... i haven't done that part and it seems I read somewhere it can matter how you hang it.

A larger space is better than a smaller space.

Sorry, no help on keeping cats away.

Back
Top Bottom