Moving chicks into the coop in Minnesota

alinkayukh

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2023
Hi everyone! This was my first time hatching chicks and I have some adorable satin frizzle silkies :)

They are 3 weeks old currently. At 6 weeks I want to start acclimating them to move them into the coop.

I have an insulated coop with a heating plate inside and a covered run to protect from snow/wind in the winter.

Our weather right now is nice in Minnesota for December. Nights are in the upper 20s and days are in the high 30s and 40s.

How do I appropriately get the chicks ready for the coop?

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_6020.jpeg
    IMG_6020.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 40
There isn't anything we can really do to get them ready to move out into the winter cold. I wonder if 6 weeks is a bit soon though.

We just did it tonight with 3 eight week old silkies in a temp coop with a cozy coop in the hutch within a pen. I have a Govee to check temp and it's 52F in there and that's 6" away from the cozy coop. They really didn't seem totally feathered yet but since it was 42F today I thought we'd try it. They seem okay.

Our coop has adults in it or I'd have just put them in there with the same heater.

There isn't anything we can really do to get them ready to move out into the winter cold. I wonder if 6 weeks is a bit soon though.

We just did it tonight with 3 eight week old silkies in a temp coop with a cozy coop in the hutch within a pen. I have a Govee to check temp and it's 52F in there and that's 6" away from the cozy coop. They really didn't seem totally feathered yet but since it was 42F today I thought we'd try it. They seem okay.

Our coop has adults in it or I'd have just put them in there with the same heater.
I want to start at 6 weeks acclimating them, not completely evicting them yet if that makes sense. I have a cozy coop panel too in my coop :)

I want to start at 6 weeks acclimating them, not completely evicting them yet if that makes sense. I have a cozy coop panel too in my coop :)
But acclimating means getting them used to that, and it's sort of hard when it's so cold. I didn't really do anything but put them out there. They ran around jumping and having fun. I guess watch for a sunny day and sneak them out for a minute. Those little buggers are going to cry I bet though.

They are 3 weeks old currently. At 6 weeks I want to start acclimating them to move them into the coop.
Where are they living now?

I have an insulated coop with a heating plate inside and a covered run to protect from snow/wind in the winter.

Our weather right now is nice in Minnesota for December. Nights are in the upper 20s and days are in the high 30s and 40s.

How do I appropriately get the chicks ready for the coop?

Thank you in advance :)
Some people brood chicks right in the coop. That works if there is a heat source in the coop that can keep part of it warm enough.

It is fine for chicks to run around in the cold, as long as they have a place to get warm again. This happens when they are raised by a broody hen (they snuggle under her to warm up), and it can also happen with a heat plate or a heat lamp.

So depending on how warm the warmest part of the coop is, you might be able to move the chicks out at any time, or they might need to get bigger and grow more feathers before they are ready.

Back
Top Bottom