Moving eggs from incubator to broody hen on 19th day!?

Madhava

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2021
My best mama hen went broody 2 days ago. I know she is committed because she is the best mama we have and when she starts, she is on! I have eggs in the incubator now but they are on day 19! so... I'm scared to transfer some of the eggs to her because they are now in lockdown ... so she might turn them...? or freak out when the hatch in 2 days...? as it would be too soon as she just went broody...

I rather her raising them than me.. so much less work for me! but I'm scared to take the risk given the circumstances of "just broody" and "lockdown"

Any insights?

Hatch the chicks and set up the brooder with a brooder plate right in front of her on a nest of fake eggs. If she keeps watching them, move her and her nest in with the chicks. She will likely abandon the nest of fake eggs and raise the chicks instead if she is a true blue steady broody.
I had my "go to broody" do that once but the eggs she was setting were not fake! Only one egg ended up hatching but she still adopted the 6 chicks she was watching while setting on her nest and raised them with her lone hatch chick.
Auntie Momma 2.jpg

The way I'd approach it would be to hatch them out and see how many chicks I got. Put some of them under her at night and see what happens the next morning. If she accepts them then give her the rest. If she doesn't then you should be able to get those chicks back and raise them with the rest. I'd expect them to remain under her all night OK but make sure you are down there at first light.

Is there a risk to this? Of course, there will be a risk no matter how you try it, even if she had been broody three weeks. This way you limit the risks and I have such high expectations of it working that I'd be willing to take the risks for the benefit.

The way I'd approach it would be to hatch them out and see how many chicks I got. Put some of them under her at night and see what happens the next morning. If she accepts them then give her the rest. If she doesn't then you should be able to get those chicks back and raise them with the rest. I'd expect them to remain under her all night OK but make sure you are down there at first light.

Is there a risk to this? Of course, there will be a risk no matter how you try it, even if she had been broody three weeks. This way you limit the risks and I have such high expectations of it working that I'd be willing to take the risks for the benefit.
Thank you so much.

Hatch the chicks and set up the brooder with a brooder plate right in front of her on a nest of fake eggs. If she keeps watching them, move her and her nest in with the chicks. She will likely abandon the nest of fake eggs and raise the chicks instead if she is a true blue steady broody.
I had my "go to broody" do that once but the eggs she was setting were not fake! Only one egg ended up hatching but she still adopted the 6 chicks she was watching while setting on her nest and raised them with her lone hatch chick.
View attachment 3565409
Thank you so much :)

Back
Top Bottom