Moving my chicks outside

MandiRock

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
Central Mississippi
My husband is hard at work outside building our chicken coup and attached run
smile.png

So next week, can I move my 3 week old chicks outside if I move their heat lamp out there with them? I had planned to keep them inside until they were fully feathered, but I hadn't counted on them being able to get out of the crate. Those little chickies can really flap those wings!

Where do you live? How cold is it there? I have 6 chicks right now that are 3 weeks and a few days old. They are outside but they are with a mama hen and we are in Georgia where the weather is not to cold. I am sure someone else will have more knowledge than me but it can be done if you keep it the right temp. Also depending on where you live you might want to make sure your coop is as snake proof as possible... this is feeding time for snakes before they hibernate.

You can put some chicken wire or something on top of the crate so they won't fly out.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm in Mississippi so we have pretty similar weather. Its about 80-85 degrees during the day and about 60 at night. We are taking extra precaution for snakes bc we live in the country so its pretty snakey.

I will try putting some wire over the crate though, thats a good idea
smile.png
Thanks!

I put my 14 chicks in the coop from the day I got them (today, actually
big_smile.png
). I have put the heatlamp in there as well and have no problem maintaining a temp that is around 95 degrees. I have just lowered the lamp slightly so that it will stay warm overnight as well, as the temps may drop to the high 50s here. I have cracked a window just a tiny bit, and they have cross ventilation at the other side, that is not blowing on their brooder. THey seem happy enough. I should also say that the coop is super secure and short from a bear there is no-one that is going to get in there.

For pics of my peeps and their brooder/coop see my BYC page.

Back
Top Bottom