Moving nest boxes..issues?

mowin

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 17, 2018
Upstate NY
I'm making roll away nest boxes because I've got a egg eater. Seeing I'm swappingthem out, I figured I'd move them to under the poop boards to improve the layout of the coop.
Wondering if the gals will be confused by the new location and if ill have issues with egg being laid on the floor or in the run. Some have just started laying again.

I can only tell you my experience, when we tore down the old coop and built a new one. We took the nest boxes out, put them on the ground and our hens had no problem finding them in a different spot. We then put the boxes in the run where we kept the hens and pullets while we built the coop (took 2.5 months). They used the boxes in the run just fine. Then we put the boxes back into the new coop, again, they had no problem realizing that’s where the eggs go. We kept the same nest boxes the whole time, just moved them around as needed. If your new ones are similar to the old ones, I would think they would figure it out.

Here is Sunny, who found the nest box on the ground when we had it randomly placed there as we took the old coop down. We moved it to their run a couple days later.

Attachments

• 53F9F403-9BA8-4816-A7C9-8589692AF10F.png
    53F9F403-9BA8-4816-A7C9-8589692AF10F.png
    3 MB · Views: 1
I'm making roll away nest boxes because I've got a egg eater. Seeing I'm swappingthem out, I figured I'd move them to under the poop boards to improve the layout of the coop.
Wondering if the gals will be confused by the new location and if ill have issues with egg being laid on the floor or in the run. Some have just started laying again.
Probably.
Hard to put fake eggs in a roll away...tho I saw one sold with a fake egg attached to a lead and clip.
Best of cLuck!

I can glue one in place. Mostly looking to stop the egg eating.
Right, but good to have some bait to use the new nest.
Some folks use bedding at first just to get them in there, then let it thin out over time so they will roll.
Have always wanted to cut one of those 'ceramic' (actually pretty sure they are plaster) eggs from TSC in half so it won't roll.

Back
Top Bottom