Moving tips?

Kirsten118

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2022
Hello!
We are moving along with a bunch of quail. I got poultry crates for them and because we will spend two days in the car, I budgeted for half capacity to reduce crowding, and have drinkers and feeders to fit inside. That said, I know that quails are generally not fans of disruption, so I was wondering whether anyone had any extra tips for helping mitigate stress? They are generally a pretty relaxed bunch (for quails) and have gotten used to big weather changes and a semi-mobile coop, but I don’t want the car to push them over the edge.
Thanks!

I’ve got two crates for 24 birds (they hold 30 max, but that would be very compacted) and we’ll be in an SUV. We are staying with a friend overnight so I’ll bring them in and I’ll do a wellness check and refill food and water.

I’ve got two crates for 24 birds (they hold 30 max, but that would be very compacted) and we’ll be in an SUV. We are staying with a friend overnight so I’ll bring them in and I’ll do a wellness check and refill food and water.
Sounds decent.
Make sure the crates are level.
But I don't know much about quail.
Might help those experienced to know what kind of quail.

I moved mine from CA to OR, but it was only a five and a half hour trip. Make sure your car stays a comfortable temperature. I also had my cats and chinchillas is the car too.
We actually will also have a cat with us! Luckily she has never cared about the quails (coturnix, by the way), and she’s been through two hatches and broods, and loves the car, so she is the least of my worries.

I’m hoping that as long as we keep the temperature and radio as even and mild as we can, no one will freak out. Luckily as soon as we finish the drive they will have a flight pen ready to move into.

Back
Top Bottom