Moving with chickens and ducks

Bitofablonde

Songster
Apr 19, 2021
Beautiful north Texas
Hey everyone!

So we are most likely moving out of state, not sure where yet at this point.

But either way it would a good distance from where we currently are. We have 10 hens and 2 ducks. Everyone was born in March 2021 so all under a year old.

What is the likely hood we could take all these girls with us?? I know chickens don't like change but is it possible to move longer distances with them???

I would imagine you could move them all. It would depend on the set up and make sure they had feed & water of course. It might be stressful though, so I would only consider it if they were in good health.

First, make sure it's legal to bring them into your new state and to transport them through the states you'll be passing through along the way.

Second, make sure you will have a place to keep them when you get there.

Third, be aware of possible extreme weather along the way and plan how to keep them healthy.

Fourth, consider how you will handle any overnight stops that may be necessary.

With careful planning I'd think it ought to be possible, but when you look at all the factors carefully and add up the pros and cons then you can decide if it's a good idea or not. :)

It is possible, but it can be a real wreck. If you can, I would strongly recommend leaving them in the area they are in. Get a new flock going when you get there.

This gives you time, to set up a coop/run. It gets you birds that grow up in the area, and acclimate themselves.

Often times, moving will bring diseases that herewith having been dormant, but the stress of moving brings them out.

As a person that is paying a heavy price for a neighbor bringing in animals from a distance, I strongly recommend that you contact a local vet for where to get information on how to legally transport animals across state lines. This might be a hobby for you, but it can be someone else's lively hood. Those laws are there for a reason.

Mrs K

Thank you everyone for the response!!

For many reasons, like you all have listed. More then likely we will leave them here. Either sell them with the house if the new people want them or adopt them out.

It's most probable that we will end up in Texas and I feel like that's just to far and too stressful for them. Just not worth the risk. I would hate for something to occur during transport. 😏😔

One more crappy thing to tell my 5 and 7 yr old boys. Ugh.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom