Mumma knows best

honeyb711

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2016
QLD Australia
The chicks are a week old now, & Mumma has had them mingling with the rest of the flock since Day 2, returning to the maternity ward where she nested & hatched them each afternoon.

Tonight however when I have gone to close doors for the night, the maternity ward is empty, & Mumma & the chicks are in the main coop already tucked in amongst everyone else. To say I'm not nervous, would be a lie 😜 But I trust Pocahontas to know what she is doing, & the rest of the 'princesses' have all been the bestest girls with the chicks, so I guess I can only hope noone squishes them accidentally 🤞🏼

Attachments

• IMG_20240326_173455.jpg
    IMG_20240326_173455.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 28
I have 2 others who went broody with her & are only just now slowly breaking from that, so next time I wondered if allowing whoever broody to hatch a few each would work?

Lots of rain here at the moment, but Mum & her chicks have emerged this morning ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20240325_112056.jpg
    IMG_20240325_112056.jpg
    778.2 KB · Views: 6
One of the broodies has killed a chick 💔

Mum only took them in the main coop this one night pictured, she moved back to the maternity coop again each night after this, however has had her babies out with the flock during the day. There have been no signs of any problems....but yesterday I left the house for the first full day, & came home to find the broody hen still attacking the chick...it was already too late though to do try save it, so we have buried it in our front garden 😞 But how do I keep this last chick safe? I have seperated Mum & chick again, but Mum does not seem to happy with this arrangement & wants back with the group. Should I remove the killer & continue to trust Mum, or do I remove the chick & raise inside? Please help, I don't want to lose this baby too 💔

Back
Top Bottom