Muscovy caruncle infection??

mariahsduckys

Hatching
Jul 6, 2021
a few months away my Muscovy girl got a scab over her nose and it seemed pretty small cause the colour was blending in i just assumed it was mating or trying to shove her head through the chicken wire an accidentally nipped herself but i noticed it started to fall of yesterday i didn't think much of it and assumed it would heal over perfectly but im now getting concerned because this morning i noticed her carnucles have turned from a light red do a gross yellow orange and its super soft so im guessing its infected but its so close to her nostrils and eyes(in the middle of top of her face) i didn't put anything on it that could give me a whole new issue, my ducks are more than egg layers to me and i really dont want anything bad to happen to her. what should i do?

So thats my main issue right now.... but their are a few more things i need some guidance in.....

i have a flock of 3 (2 muscovy girls,1 mallard) i originally had 2, one girl and one drake which i got at 3 days old, 6 months old we had a dog issue and my boy sadly passed, but 1 day later i got 2 more baby ducks to keep my girl company(this all happened about a year ago). Fast forward a few months and my girl started to look ragedy and colour changing, next thing you know she went from a beautiful brown mallard to having A GREEN HEAD and grey feathers, so basically my duck is trangender. But (fast foward 5 months again) and hes starting to loose all green from his head and starting to get his brown back so turning back to a girl??? i havent seen anything on this id be intrested to know if anyone else has had the same thing happen??? should i post tranformation pics??

and lastly....( thank you all so much)

my girls (Munckin and Dewy) have been figthing ever since mating season started,like bad fighting i couldn't leave them together for 2 minutes, they have been split up now for almost 2 months and now the season is coming to an end and their is still no improvement my boy (or girl?) peeper has been ''matting'' with them both so i thought they were just fighting over him but its been so long and its alot to keep up with i found alot online about drake muscovys fighting but not much on girls, they have a pool and plenty of space in the cage they go in at night(they free range) so i dont know what to do..... they do share a food dish tho, could that be the issue

and my girl munckin has bumblee foot right now that i just treated so my duck shanagains is alot right now this is only my secound summer with them so i would apprecaite any help, thank you

-Mariah, Peep, Munchkin and Dewy <3

a few months away my Muscovy girl got a scab over her nose and it seemed pretty small cause the colour was blending in i just assumed it was mating or trying to shove her head through the chicken wire an accidentally nipped herself but i noticed it started to fall of yesterday i didn't think much of it and assumed it would heal over perfectly but im now getting concerned because this morning i noticed her carnucles have turned from a light red do a gross yellow orange and its super soft so im guessing its infected but its so close to her nostrils and eyes(in the middle of top of her face) i didn't put anything on it that could give me a whole new issue, my ducks are more than egg layers to me and i really dont want anything bad to happen to her. what should i do?
I would spray some blu-kote on it for a start.

i have a flock of 3 (2 muscovy girls,1 mallard) i originally had 2, one girl and one drake which i got at 3 days old, 6 months old we had a dog issue and my boy sadly passed, but 1 day later i got 2 more baby ducks to keep my girl company(this all happened about a year ago). Fast forward a few months and my girl started to look ragedy and colour changing, next thing you know she went from a beautiful brown mallard to having A GREEN HEAD and grey feathers, so basically my duck is trangender. But (fast foward 5 months again) and hes starting to loose all green from his head and starting to get his brown back so turning back to a girl??? i havent seen anything on this id be intrested to know if anyone else has had the same thing happen??? should i post tranformation pics??
I've heard of this before, her hormones are off balance. She can't turn into a drake or back into a female, but if her hormones are off balance she can grow drake plumage, stop laying eggs, or have a voice change.

As for the muscovy with the caruncle issue, this sounds normal, but can you post a pic?

Muscovy like to go at it for top spot with the drake. So, yeah girls can fight. But they aren't going to work out the "pecking" order if you keep them separated.

As for the mallard, you have a drake and he has gone through his molting phases.
Since you have a drake, he really needs about 2 more girls to add to his flock. Or I would find him a new home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom