Muscovy Dance?

CeceliaD

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Maine
I have two adult Muscovies. Lately they’ve been doing this little ritual thing where they hiss and puff their mohawks up and lift their heads up like they’re eating rain, opening and closing their beaks. Sometimes there’s a little stomping involved too. It’s mostly the male but the female joins in too. What the heck are they doing? It’s entertaining to watch and it’s not followed by aggression or anything else notable.

Attachments

• 0FA57020-2A12-4CE7-8A7F-59667CBDA439.jpeg
    0FA57020-2A12-4CE7-8A7F-59667CBDA439.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 15
Eating the air. 😆 Muscovies are funny. Mine do that as well and they will congregate and have a good laugh while eating the air. The hiss and mohawk raise is just another form of communication, usually it's when they are on alert. As far as stomping, I've seen that when they are mad or something's not going their way. I've seen mama muscovies stomp their feet when their ducklings weren't listening to them. If it is raining, ducks do that to drum up worms. 😁

Eating the air. 😆 Muscovies are funny. Mine do that as well and they will congregate and have a good laugh while eating the air. The hiss and mohawk raise is just another form of communication, usually it's when they are on alert. As far as stomping, I've seen that when they are mad or something's not going their way. I've seen mama muscovies stomp their feet when their ducklings weren't listening to them. If it is raining, ducks do that to drum up worms. 😁

Muscovies are just the funniest ducks aren’t they? Eating the air 😂 so strange. Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom