Muscovy hatched out ducklings

I've learned a lot of lessons the hard way too. Glad they are doing well. I personally have never given a single muscovy niacin, but perhaps it's different in different parts of the country. I have raised them on a flock raiser and a chick starter without problems.

I think mom duck gets eager to get those ducklings out and away from the nest, so sometimes they make bad decisions. They are adorable ducklings. :)

IMG_20201224_144123547.jpg

Well, the final count is three ducklings.
They remind me of The Three Billy Goats Gruff. One is HUGE, one is medium sized, and one is small.

I'm thinking the big one is a male and the teeny one a female but the middle duckling...:idunno

I feel bad. Today I opened our shed door too fast and the ducklings were laying against it. Ended up rolling the smallest duckling UNDER the bottom door gap. Thought I'd killed her but she bounced right back up again. Yikes!

Generally you can tell for sure by 8-12 weeks. One early way is to watch wing feather development. Males take much longer to get this first feathers.

Ah, ok. I'll keep an eye on that. I would love it if they were all girls. Maybe the biggest one is just a big gal.
Could be one of my Muscovy girls is significantly bigger than the others I thought she was a boy at first but she's just a big girl, she's got a good pound or 2 on my other girls, still not as big as an average drake though.

Got any updated pictures? :p

The smallest duckling keeps getting a poopy butt. I've had to clean her twice now, so she can actually deficate. What's up with that?

All the ducks went to the top tier of our yard today but the little one (my 3-year-old named it Feather), couldn't make it up the stairs. It is so runty! I had to help it up top.

Could be one of my Muscovy girls is significantly bigger than the others I thought she was a boy at first but she's just a big girl, she's got a good pound or 2 on my other girls, still not as big as an average drake though.

Got any updated pictures? :p

Well, here's little Feather.
IMG_20201226_174103650~2.jpg

Husband put her in the pool yesterday,
hoping it would help clean her rear, but instead she just got cold. She was starting to have problems walking so I brought her inside and had one of my daughters hold her in a towel for a bit. She seemed to enjoy watching shows on Netflix with the kids. :gig

Back
Top Bottom