My Broody Hen hatched a Chick! What should I do?

Yeesh... They’re kinda huge compared to it even though they’re nowhere near their full size.
Im hoping someone else will also reply to your thread soon, bcause im starting to feel like debbie downer here! But yeah, if the feedstore chicks are only a week older, adding the new chick should be fine. Two weeks older May still be ok, but starting to push it. 3 weeks older and up, the chick could easily be trampled.

However old your feedstore chicks are, definitely wait until the new chick regains strength it used for hatching, & finds its feet. That usually takes about 24 hours after a chick unzips and escapes from egg. And the chick wont need to eat for 2 days after hatching; it will be getting nutrition from its absorbed egg yolk. So dont worry until after 2 days pass if you dont see mama hen feeding it.

The chick hatched either this morning or last night. This was the only egg that hatched. She did leave the nest with the chick on its own. I separated her from the flock because I was preparing to bring them home with me and furthermore to test if she’d stay with her baby. Her mind is set on sitting on eggs that are most-likely not fertilized because the Rooster hasn’t mated her in a while. Also, when she’s away from the nesting basket inside the coop she starts squawking very obnoxiously.
The mother generally stays on the nest until all the eggs hatch or until roughly 48 hours after the first chick hatches. If the chick falls out of a nest and can't get back in, the mother may leave the nest to go to the chick but her instincts tell her to go back to the nest with the chick to finish the hatch. Could the chick get back in the nest with her?

The mother generally stays on the nest until all the eggs hatch or until roughly 48 hours after the first chick hatches. If the chick falls out of a nest and can't get back in, the mother may leave the nest to go to the chick but her instincts tell her to go back to the nest with the chick to finish the hatch. Could the chick get back in the nest with her?
Yeah, the chick’s okay. We’re leaving it under her with the eggs until it’s able to walk, then we’re going to take it home and raise it up ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom