My broody hens this go around

stuckinthecity

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Just sharing pics, mostly!
This little hen likes to set and hatched 4 chicks.
LilBit10.jpg

They're almost 3 weeks old now. Really interested in seeing how her little buff chick turns out. It's from a SLW roo over a Buff Minorca hen.
IMG_8699.jpg

IMG_8702 (1).jpg

IMG_8704.jpg

minorcaA.PNG

My "gold hen" hatched me 14 eggs and now is raising 28-30.
hatchdaymay.jpg

hatchdaymay2.jpg

hatchdaymay3.jpg

The mothers are mostly Silver Laced Wyandotte. But I've got some hatched from Buff Minorca eggs and Rhode Island Red mix eggs.
mothers.jpg

The fathers are a Silver Laced Wyandotte and My Rhode Island Red mix roo (He was laid and hatched here). Bet you can't tell what he's mixed with :lol::p
deddy1.PNG

deddy2.jpg

And here's my most recent, crazy little broody. She's low on the totem pole, and is super submissive...She gets chased off the nest a lot and is understandably more nervous than my other two. I decided to just give her one chick. This may be her very first time to raise chicks.
IMG_8709.jpg

Post pictures of your hens and chicks if you would like! I love seeing them.

The hen with 30 has her hands full (wings?) :gig

We had a hen raise 14 chicks, and when they started to get big they didn't all fit under her. Poor mama hen was still trying to snuggle all these quickly growing chicks under her when they were 8 weeks old
She's doing just fine :)
I've given hens additional chicks before no problems. Yep, they may not all be able to gather under her, but as long as you have something that everyone can snuggle in (I use large totes) then everyone stays warm and happy.

Back
Top Bottom