MY CHICKEN ALMOST DIED!

Chickenma2021

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Nothing like this has ever happened to me - NEVER!!
A little bit of backstory: my chicken Blanch has been sick, I thought she was egg bound, turns out its just a weird lump. Anyway I thought this lump was making her sick and weak but I thought nothing of it. She would often get chased and pecked but again, nothing too bad thought nothing of it. Fast forward to today my dad was outside working and then ran in to tell me Blanch was not ok, she had been pinned down and pecked so hard her whole head is bald, purple and bloody. She could barely walk. I immediately looked at the situation and Blanch looked pretty darn rough and exhausted. I gave her a mini pen in the garage and hand fed her some fermented feed and an electrolyte solution. I just feel terrible for her. If my dad hadn't found her she could've died in the hour. I gave her a nice warm bath and scrubbed all the dry blood off her and she seems to be doing a bit better. I'm wondering if she was ever even sick or if she was just being picked on and bullied. I just wanted to share this story for awareness and for a bit of guidance on what my next steps are.

I would delete one of your identical threads, so that everyone can just post responses here. Do you have any pictures of Blanche’s head? Is there any bleeding? Does the “weird lump” show up in a picture? Does she walk differently or act differently to cause the others to peck her? Gentian violet, the active ingredient in BluKote can hide red skin and bald heads, if the skin is still intact. A wire dog crate near the other chickens can keep her near the others without her getting pecked more. If her scalp is bare or raw, plain antibiotic ointment or cream may help. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Some chickens will get picked on for different reasons. Sometimes removing the bully for a time to lower their position in the pecking order may help, but not always. Pinless peepers are something that can be attached to the nostrils to keep the chicken from pecking their target, and still allow them to see food and water. That can help if there is one bully, but sometimes a picked on chicken may need to be housed separately. We hope that she gets better.

Hey everyone, sorry for being so inactive lately. Blanch has passed away but luckily it was peacefully in her sleep. Thank you to everyone who tried to give me tips. I still don't know what was wrong but a lot of her symptom's were related to mereks and salpingitis. Rest in peace sweet girl ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom