My chicken is sick and I need help please!

ChickInnMama

Chirping
Feb 21, 2022
Hi,

One of our favorite girls, Elliott, didn’t come out of the coop this morning and I found her in the corner. We took her out and checked her over, everything looks fine but she’s breathing a little heavy. We looked in her mouth and there seemed to be mucus in the back but that’s the only thing we can see physically. Her comb is like a pale peach color. She seemed fine last night when she went into the coop, but now that I’m thinking about it for a few months now when I pick her up she would make a little wheezy type sound but I only heard it when she was picked up so I assumed it was when she was held a certain way it bothered her but maybe it’s something more 😢. Also, I don’t know if this means anything, she is only wanting to lay on her left side. We gave her a few drops of VetRx and a drop of Nutridrench straight into her beak carefully. We tried to get a little water in her with a dropper (I can’t find my chick waterers so I’m going to get another one this morning). She’s sleeping and that’s about it. Is there anything else we can do for her?

Attachments

• IMG_3637.jpeg
    IMG_3637.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 40
Offer her water and some mushy wet feed and scrambled egg bits. Does she have any drainage from nostrils, eye bubbles, or swelling around her eye? How does her crop feel? Does she lay eggs? What do her poops look like?How old is she?

Offer her water and some mushy wet feed and scrambled egg bits. Does she have any drainage from nostrils, eye bubbles, or swelling around her eye? How does her crop feel? Does she lay eggs? What do her poops look like?How old is she?
She is almost 3, no drainage from her eyes, nose or ears that we saw (I’ll look again as soon as I get home, I had to run my son to work), she laid an egg last just Tuesday so just 2 days ago. She hasn’t pooped since I moved her inside a few hours ago so not sure about that. Her eyes don’t look swollen. I’ll try to get a close up picture of her sweet little face when I get home. Thank you for the ideas! I’ll try them as soon as I get home!

Combs can be pale in winter because of fewer daylight hours, but check her body for any signs of mites or lice. Does she have any problems walking?

Combs can be pale in winter because of fewer daylight hours, but check her body for any signs of mites or lice. Does she have any problems walking?
She won’t walk at all, she is super lethargic and I’ll check her for mites and lice now.

She passed away while I was gone this morning. Thank you for all the advice. Everyone else in the flock seems fine, I’m praying no one else gets sick but I am about to go deep clean the coops to be safe. Thank you again ♥️

Hello! I'm so sorry!

I would recommend that you do a body check on al your girls. They should be heavy for their size. If anyone feels light you might need to triage to figure out what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom