My coop design and build blog

when we put up the deer fence around the garden, I bought the black version because they claimed that from a distance you cant see the mesh (they were correct, it cant be seen)
IMG_8254.JPG
IMG_8256.JPG
IMG_8255.JPG
IMG_8257.JPG
IMG_8258.JPG

When I put the shiny galvanized mesh on the chicken coop/run, it blocked the view through the mesh. Because I have an automatic door to let the chickens out, I had a hard time seeing through the mesh to know if the little solar powered door was open or closed.

Today, I painted the mesh black on one side to see it it improved visibility through the 1/2" holes. Here are the before and after pictures.

Its spring so we are spiting our time between expanding the garden space on the homestead and finishing the coop and run.

The chicks wont go in the coop for another week or two so I wanted to get the sand in the coop so it was dry by the time the chicks are added.

When we add the 24 chicks, they will remain in only the coop portion for 4 days until we open up the run to them. This will let them establish that the coop is home and a safe place to return to. (and eventually lay eggs)

sand1.jpg
sand2.jpg
sand3.jpg
sand4.jpg
sand5.jpg
sand6.jpg
sand7.jpg
sand8.jpg
sand9.jpg
sand91.jpg
sand92.jpg

Make sure you sandwich that hardware cloth between two boards. Otherwise it won't have the strength to keep predators out.

My old run was built that way and even when the kids were horsing around in the chicken yard and fell into the run, nobody got hurt and the run/wire was never compromised. (Of course they were strongly advised to stop "bouncing" off the wire or other consequences would ensue even if they didn't get injured as a result of the horseplay.)

Also don't forget about snakes as predators, they love chicken eggs when they can get them.

Make sure you sandwich that hardware cloth between two boards. Otherwise it won't have the strength to keep predators out.

My old run was built that way and even when the kids were horsing around in the chicken yard and fell into the run, nobody got hurt and the run/wire was never compromised. (Of course they were strongly advised to stop "bouncing" off the wire or other consequences would ensue even if they didn't get injured as a result of the horseplay.)

Also don't forget about snakes as predators, they love chicken eggs when they can get them.

To keep snakes away we use this.
asnow.jpg

Even though Im in the USA, Im further north than Halifax Nova Scotia. Jan and Feb. record temps each day are in the -30 to -40F range with -20 not at all rare so Im insulating. Is it overkill? I dont care.

I never thought I would be looking forward to freezing temps but Im tired of having my boots sucked off my feet with every step. A high of 23 with a nightime low of 6F tomorrow. Despite the hand wringers about global warming, Our future is cold. You are not being told this yet, but our future is cold. Very cold. This will be made clear in the coming years.

The framing is done so Im in siding (pre-cutting and pre-painting) mode. Thankfully I have a warm shop for such a task.

Lastly, my run chicken door arrived.

View attachment 3754782View attachment 3754783View attachment 3754784View attachment 3754785View attachment 3754786View attachment 3754788View attachment 3754789View attachment 3754790
Those are great auto doors! I've had mine for a hot minute and it's been great!

Back
Top Bottom