My disastrous chicken family

doflamingo23

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2020
My rooster keeps mating with my slippers, he does not mate with the hens. Also one of our hen has gotten larger while the other is still small. The large hen has some super sonic speed, she will steal all the food from my hands and BOOM! vanish. I have to feed the small hen in another place.. I did try keeping him away from the shoes but he won't budge. I got them in somewhere around sept. The question is, this mating behavior is apparently him trying to "dominate" over me, and now I'm confused as to what should I do?
Also he crows ALOT!

uh, I apologize I don't know much about breeds but he is similar to a brown leghorn rooster, but he's still kind of in the teen years. His tail is growing blueish feathers but not fully (i hope this makes sense)

Ah, roosters. While all my hens clearly understand that winter brings long, dark nights and late mornings (as evidenced by their "vacation" from producing eggs), Sir Henry the Loud continues to crow at 3:30 or 4 a.m. Every Single Day. And he likes to announce his presence throughout the day.

Feeding the smaller hen separately sounds like a reasonable solution. I've done it for girls who were at the bottom of the pecking order.

Your chicken family is not disastrous; you and they will likely work out all their issues. Hmm. except maybe the shoes. I've never had one attracted to footwear.

How old is he, and the others, in weeks or months?
Pics would help.
Thank you for replying, this is him. I'll post more clear pictures if required
20210102_154208.jpg

Ah, roosters. While all my hens clearly understand that winter brings long, dark nights and late mornings (as evidenced by their "vacation" from producing eggs), Sir Henry the Loud continues to crow at 3:30 or 4 a.m. Every Single Day. And he likes to announce his presence throughout the day.

Feeding the smaller hen separately sounds like a reasonable solution. I've done it for girls who were at the bottom of the pecking order.

Your chicken family is not disastrous; you and they will likely work out all their issues. Hmm. except maybe the shoes. I've never had one attracted to footwear.
Thank you for your reply, will try that. Honestly I don't know either how he developed this weird obsession 🤔

Back
Top Bottom