My duck egg eating LGD has changed her ways

Red Maple Farms

Wish Granted
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
NE Wisconsin
I have a 14 month old Great Pyrenees livestock guardian dog that lives 24/7 with my free ranging ducks, geese, guineas and chickens. Her straw bale dog house is built right next to the pop door of the coop. Last spring my dog was going crazy for duck eggs. It was a race each morning to collect the eggs before she had a chance to eat them. I tried all sorts of deterrents such as tobasco sauce and ipecac syrup injected into the eggs. I even tried catching her in the act and offering my disapproval. None of it worked, and she seemed to like the eggs that were spiced with hot sauce. I would still see her running around once in a while with a duck egg in her mouth, and find egg shells by her food bowl in her dog house where she had obviously enjoyed a meal.

Eventually the ducks started laying in areas of restricted access, and everything was fine for a while. Then a couple weeks ago I began finding duck eggs every morning in her house, and suspected that she found a stash and was bringing them back for a meal. Then one night I was checking the area with a flashlight and I heard some strange chirping noises coming from her dog house, and as I peered inside with the flashlight to investigate I saw a duck sleeping with my dog. What a surprise.

I guess this has been going on for at least two weeks now. None of the eggs I found were eaten, and no shell remains were found. I took some pictures because I thought this was an odd occurence.

Muscovy duck sleeping with Great Pyrenees LGD at 10:30 PM
49746_jackieandduck.jpg

Duck sitting on three eggs the next morning. She must have more friends now.
49746_duckindoghouse.jpg

Quote:
No, this year all my eggs have been used to fill standing orders at a couple natural and organic food co-ops. I only siphon off a batch of eggs here and there for replacement hens. Of course, the unwanted males ducklings that result are used for meat.

Ah-ha, see maybe they think they can team up and keep the ducklings from you!
wink.png
gig.gif

Seriously, that is fantastic that you have a contract for them – sure helps pay the feed bill.

Male ducks - chickens, geese - have the same future at our place. yummy
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom