My first show, what to bring?

Goatlover09

Chirping
Aug 8, 2023
I'm going to my first show in a couple weeks. Though it is only a 4H show I want to know what ia good to bring with me for the birds. Feed, water, feeders, waterers, and bedding are being provided so I won't be bringing those.

I would still bring my chickens own feed that they are used to eating. We would always bring things like paper towels, and water along with the feed, and on the morning of the show I always put olive oil on the combs, wattles and ear lobes of the birds, not really anything else I can think of, I always wash them a few days before we bring them (it's county fair). Some people put show sheen on them, this year I actually did use like a horse coat conditioning/shine spray (it's concentrate, orange in a small bottle) I would be more cautious using it on white birds though, I think it did give the white on my cukoo d'Anver a really slight different color, but I put it on them right before we left to take them to fair and then they got judged a few days later. Just be careful with the olive oil, I use a Q tip or a tissue/paper towel to put it on. I think I might have also put it on the legs of my cleaned leg birds. And I don't recommend treating them with permethrin for mites/lice close before a show I prefer ivermectin.

@Amer @Show Sebright

I would recommend still bringing a watering can and shavings (and feed) because you can never rely on there being enough. I put Vaseline on the combs and legs.
I also bring Show sheen livestock dry shampoo, wet wipes some paper towels, and an old toothbrush. (I’ve heard electric is best but I’ve never used one, just a regular toothbrush for me.) These are in order to clean up dirty butts (usually chickens stay clean after their bath, but not always) and dirty feet.
Also, a silk cloth can really add some shine.

I'm going to my first show in a couple weeks. Though it is only a 4H show I want to know what ia good to bring with me for the birds. Feed, water, feeders, waterers, and bedding are being provided so I won't be bringing those.
Depending on your show you bring different stuff but Thai is my packing list-

- small feeding cups
-feed
-gallon of water
- treats
- Neosporin (the clear oily one) put on the comb, wattles, legs, to shine and clean any cuts
- 1cc syringe to force feed if needed
-paper towels
-change of clothes
If you have a Silkie or muffed breed then a mascaras brush. I use it to fluff the bodies.
- if you have a smooth feathered birds like Sebrights or old English, use a light oil spray on them if you want.
- wet wipes
- quick stop powder

Clip nails and bathe before you go. I wash 2 days before. Keep of bedding away from them after wash.
If you want to you can do 2 washes. One with lice shampoo for dogs and one with a normal shampoos of whitening.
Use ivermectin injectable for cattle, 0.5 cc on the back of the neck or permethrin daluted to kill mites.

Attachments

• 4AA84118-697C-4932-9F1C-A0B11FAD2BBC.jpeg
    4AA84118-697C-4932-9F1C-A0B11FAD2BBC.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom