My frizzle hen suddenly an outcast!

chickencrazylady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Hi!
I had to 3 days ago remove my Silkie roo from the coop as he was covered in ice, took him into the house and literally thawed him out. He was also limping. Having Silkie-boy in the house I was able to clean his feet and found that his back toe nail had grown in a curve and was growing into the bottom of his foot! I clip the nail and had to dig and pull out the nail embedded in his foot. I betadined his foot and all seems well now. Gave him a couple of days to recupe.

Yesterday morning I went into the coop and all the nesting boxes were empty and I noticed that my white frizzle hen was missing, I looked under the food and water shelf and there she was shaking at the back. I pulled her out from there and finished filling the food dish and cleaning out the water dish, as I am doing this I realised that my 2 biggest girls at going after my frizzle like crazy, again the frizzle dives under the food and water shelf, that is raised 6 inches off the floor. I then again pull my frizzle out from under and realise that she is bloody. I take her into the house, and clean her up and place her in a dog crate.

I then go back into the coop and start putting the hay back into the nesting boxes and a quick clean of my coop floor and add more hay. A few hours later I go back into the coop and those crazy girls have completely destroyed the coop yet again. Took all the hay from the nesting boxes and put it on the coop floor. What gives! I can only think that with Silkie-boy in the house recuperating that my girls are having hissy fits without him being there. Later yesterday I put Silkie-boy back in the coop to whip his woman back in shape!
I am hoping I today sometime, maybe tomorrow I can place my frizzle back in the coop also. The other girls were quite mean to her while Silkie-boy was in the house. My frizzle hen is quite high on the pecking order here so that really is confusing me that the lower hen were attacking her.

I tried to place Frizzle hen back in the coop yesterday, and it didn't work out so well, within seconds all the girls were on her! My silkie roo was trying to take them off her without success and I had to intervene and take Frizzle hen out of the run and place her back in the house. I can only assume that my frizzle is somehow sick maybe, with no signs of illness. This is baffling me!!!

I have found that the pecking order can be a delicate balance and taking chickens out of the coop can really be a tough adjustment. I'm glad that the rooster is at least trying to keep order now that he is back. Maybe you can put the most aggressive hens in a crate inside the coop while you let the frizzle re adjust to the coop. Or maybe the main aggressors need to be taken out temporarily? Sometimes it can be trial and error to reestablish the order.

We moved a few months ago and split up part of two flocks and put them back together. We also gave our rooster away. When this happened - everyone turned on one chicken who they were previously either a friend to or afraid of.

Things never changed back, unfortunately! We ended up pardoning the smallest of our meat birds (red broiler who was kind of runty) and put her in with the outcast bird. Now they're best of friends, but are their own flock.

I don't know what happens in their chicken heads when you remove the rooster - but for some reason, they get a little funny.

I'd be curious to know what happens in your situation in a couple months!

Back
Top Bottom