My goose loves apples

KittyIsQuackers

Quacking
Apr 4, 2018
East TN
I've had three geese since late December of 2018, though two of them have disappeared recently, with a very small pile of feathers left behind both times. I believe it was a bear, but have no way of knowing for sure. My last goose, Hermione Freeranger, was still very "You're a PREDATOR, so you're gonna EAT ME, I'm gonna DIE if I let you NEAR ME," so I put a little more effort into having her get to like me. I chopped up some apples rather finely, and my goose was the only one out of my flock that would try this strange new food. She immediately loved it. My other seven ducks, one of which is a Muscovy, came over to see why this food they had turned their noses up at was so good. They loved it. I gave them a few more chopped apples over the next few days, and they would go crazy every time. They now respond to me yelling "APPLES!!"
At one point, I didn't have enough time to chop it up so finely, so I just cut it in half and put it on the ground. My Muscovy came over, took a few bites, then picked up the apple and ran off. I have never seen him run before. I didn't know that such a large bird could go so fast with such stubby legs. Since then, I have only seen him run with an apple in his mouth. The ducks, even though they don't have teeth like Hermione and my Muscovy do, take little nibbles from the edges of apples I give them. My ducks love apples so much so my broody duck will get off her nest to come get apples. Hermione at first would only take the apples if they were on top on a cutting board. Then I started only giving her whole apples that weren't on a cutting board, so she realized that she could only get them from me. I usually held the apple behind me and away from my body, making sure not to look at her. She would come over and nibble at the apple I had, but only if I couldn't see her. I slowly brought the apple closer in front of me, and she would come closer and closer, until she was willing to practically be in my lap. This happened in the course of about a week, a few days of which I wasn't home much. Now she's willing to let me come up to her and poke her beak. She'll even nibble at my fingers as I do so. She even learned how to take the apples away from the other ducks and walk off with them (she doesn't run unless she has to).

My geese like apples too, as well as pears, watermelon, tomatoes, corn on the cob, and even the leaves on the cornstalks, to name a few things.

Back
Top Bottom