my guineas

Agreed, if they think the nest has been tampered with they abandon it, ditto w/moving them. If you have an incubator you can give it a try. Re yolk material on eggs, either some eggs were broken or someone dropped a shellless egg (yeah, really).
No. No one was asking abt your breeds, that was just someone's "signature", listing their interests after welcoming you to the group.
Try candling the eggs with a flash light to see what you have.

i have 11 guinea hens, 9 males, and 2 female I can tell 2 of the males apart Rudolph's horn has split so it looks like he has reindeer antlers and paul who even though he's not a female has a short horn and messed up feathers I mainly signed up because I am very worried about the 19 eggs we discovered one of the females started staying out at night on the 3 days we watched her go into a patch of weeds so we followed her and what do you know shes laying down a little bit later I went to check and she was in the yard I decided to check the 'nest' and again what do you know there are eggs I went back to count and sadly on my way there were at least three empty shells later we got latex gloves and went to move the nest for some reason some of them were covered in what looked like yolk once we reached the bottom I noticed there were eggshells at the bottom they were now in the stall aka coop later when I checked on them before I went to bed nobody was sitting on it we decided to move it to the shelf in there stall aka coop i ended up checking on the again later still nothing I'm worried they wont hatch with is sad but reading the articles on here i feel much better.
Welcome to BYCs!!! :welcome

It’s somewhat difficult to get guinea fowl to successfully hatch their own eggs. If the hens sit on them outdoors, they are usually grabbed by a predator. Indoor nests can work, but it’s difficult to get them to accept an indoor nest. Moving nests seldom works as the hen abandons the nest. If you have an incubator, you can collect the eggs from the nests and hatch the keets yourself.

Yeah, as others have said, I think moving a Guinea nest does not work. The hen bonds to the nesting site not the eggs.

Having said that, I think it is still good that you moved it. To protect the hen. Hens sitting outside on a nest are usually eaten by a fox, racoon, owl, etc.

A predator may have already snacked on some eggs and left some egg slabber on the remaining ones?

You can always try with new eggs/a new nest that was started inside by the hens - to me the adult birds are more important.

One way to get them to chose an inside location is to provide good choices (secluded - even a few branches over a corner spot may work) and keep them inside a few days if that is not too hard on them.

If you have an incubator you can try to hatch the eggs yourself. My favorite incubator is: https://incubatorwarehouse.com/inde...its/hova-bator-genesis-1588-advanced-kit.html but there is much debate on favorites on this forum :lol:

The first eggs of the season are often infertile anyway, so don't stress too much.

If you take good care of the adults, in my experience, you will have more eggs than you wanted at some point.

Last edited:
oh and also she might be a new mother because one of the females last year had a nest of three with only one boy and one girl surived

Back
Top Bottom