My Hen is broody…her 3 month old chick won’t leave her side.

Lspears218

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Hello all, my silkie (surprise!) is broody again. This is her second time ever and it was only 3 months ago that she hatched her first single baby chick.

The baby chick is not integrating well with the rest of the flock. Mom went broody 6 days ago and the chick has been sitting in the box with her 23 hours a day.

The 2nd day I wanted to remove the chick so i took her out and closed the coop. The rest of the flock wouldn’t allow her near them , so she went into the yard alone and a hawk tried to grab her. If it wasn’t for my dog she would be long gone.

Now I am in a bit of a situation, what to do? Let her stay with mom and risk health complications or let her go in the yard alone and be at risk of prey?

I’d appreciate some thoughts or ideas on the matter , thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 4351BC85-DB99-437A-955B-085BBCEE6118.jpeg
    4351BC85-DB99-437A-955B-085BBCEE6118.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 13
Unfortunately this is what happens when lone chicks grow up in a flock. Until she starts laying, it's going to be very hard for her.

If her mother tolerates her being in the nest box with her you can let her stay. But when the eggs are due to hatch I would remove her and put her in a wire crate with food and water right next to her mother until the hatch is over and the chicks are mobile. Then let her out and see if her mother lets her stay with her and her new brood while she raises them. That might be her best bet because she can bond with some of the new chicks. Then when they grow up she can integrate into the main flock along with them.

Unfortunately this is what happens when lone chicks grow up in a flock. Until she starts laying, it's going to be very hard for her.

If her mother tolerates her being in the nest box with her you can let her stay. But when the eggs are due to hatch I would remove her and put her in a wire crate with food and water right next to her mother until the hatch is over and the chicks are mobile. Then let her out and see if her mother lets her stay with her and her new brood while she raises them. That might be her best bet because she can bond with some of the new chicks then when they grow up she can integrate into the main flock along with them.
Thank you , yes the mom has been good so far allowing her to be in the box with no issues. When any other hen gets near she will get loud and annoyed with them.

After thinking over what you said I didn’t even think about hatching day! I will take up your advice, as I want it to go smoothly for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom