My hen is limping but she doesn't seem to have a wound fitting the reaction

(sorry for the delay) Her hips don't look uneven and I didn't see any bruising, there looks to be no swelling either, as for the way she walks, when I first found her; she kept her foot close to her body but would stretch it in front of her when she'd take a step but would put pressure on it for as little time as possible, but now she stands on both feet and when she walks( I've been trying to keep her from unnecessarily walking but she insists on moving around in her crate) she lifts it and hops using her remaining foot. She's never had any health issues before this. For now I'm giving her epsom soaks twice a day but if I should bump those numbers up let me know

If you're not seeing anything different with her hip or leg, then I would guess the foot is the most likely cause of her limp.

Soaking twice per day should be enough. It sometimes takes a few days to start seeing improvement but I've had good success with twice daily soaks. I usually put them right back out with the flock after soaking (but not if it's cold, though, because frostbite is a concern in that case). I find that they will limit their own movement if it is bad enough - that was actually a clue for me in two separate cases that the infection was getting worse and I needed to try something else for treatment, because they started sitting down all day.

If you do need to crate her and she is pacing (unclear here on if she's pacing or just moving around to get food and water), have you tried to cover the crate with a towel or blanket? I cover just enough to make it a bit dark but also leave airflow, and that usually helps calm them down.

Back
Top Bottom