My horse got himself cast last night

Quote:
When horses lay down, they fold their legs up under themselves. When they get back up, they have to have enough room to stretch out their front legs and push up with their rear. When a horse is "cast" in his stall, what has happened is that he misjudged things (either when he laid down or after he rolled) and he is too close to the wall(s) to be able to do this and now he cannot get up without help. This can be a simple thing or a major calamity, depending on the horse. Some will lay there quietly as you wrap soft ropes around their legs and pull to flip them over or otherwise give them the room they need. Others will fight frantically, doing themselves (and you!) major bodily harm.

HTH

Rusty

I didn't know what cast meant either and I even used to have horses. So I googled it.. Ya know, I think you can google everything..
gig.gif

That is why I love this site. You learn something new everyday. Makes us all so much smarter. Thank you for the detailed description.

My Arabian gelding would roll himself against the shade shed, just so he could pound on it with his feet. When we would come out of the house, he would roll back over and get up to greet us.

When I purchased him as a 2 yr old, I was told he started doing this in their arena. Roll against the side wall and pound his feet for attention
hu.gif

He was an attention hound - unsnapping snaps, opening gates, unzipping zippers, moving buckets, taking hoses. He stopped rolling against the shed once it got to be too painful from arthritis. He passed in 2010 at the age of 25.

Glad he is ok.

Glad old horse is okay as well as DH....seeing that can be bad on one's heart. LOL

I had a QH mare that would roll against the wall of her stall in a tantrum and it used to scare the crap out of me. Her stall was plenty big enough (16 x 16), she was the only QH in a TB barn. LOL

Back
Top Bottom