My Jap Quails have dissapeared out of my aviary??

Nichole1984

Chirping
Sep 7, 2020
Hi Everyone. I am absolutely stumped on this one. I woke up this morning, went out to the aviary and my 4 jap quails weren't there. No sign of an attack, no feathers anywhere, but I did find a hole about the size of a tennis ball going under the outside of the aviary to the inside or vice versa. I also have 3 canaries and 8 finch missing. I would have thought if it was a rat there would be signs of an attack, feathers around, etc.... but nothing at all. I've done a walk around my whole yard and found no signs of anything. I live in Geelong, Vic, Australia. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what it could have been?? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm devastated.

i am so sorry for you lose :( it sounds like it was a predator of some kind or a moor unlikely but still possible is a predator like a rat or mouse dug a hole and they got out of it but thats less likely but again so sorry for your loss i hate it when you lose a pet of some kind

i am so sorry for you lose :( it sounds like it was a predator of some kind or a moor unlikely but still possible is a predator like a rat or mouse dug a hole and they got out of it but thats less likely but again so sorry for your loss i hate it when you lose a pet of some kind
I have 2 dogs and a cat that run around the backyard during the day... if the quails had have got out, unfortunately my cat or dogs would have got them, and I'm sure there would be evidence around. This is what has me so stumped, is that there is no evidence of anything. But thank you very much for your reply. Don't think I'll be sleeping tonight, night guard at the aviary!!

I'm not great with predators, but my thought would be ferret or weasel? I know they usually leave the bodies lay, but that's because they can't drag them through the little holes they make. I imagine it's a lot easier to drag a Coturnix through a little hole than it is to drag a duck.

So sorry for the loss of your birds. I can understand why you feel devastated; it's even tougher when you don't know what took your pets.

I had a mink kill three chickens and leave the bodies, then kill a duck -- which it snagged outside a run -- and there was no body left. So it could have been some kind of mink or weasel?

Sounds like you still have some left; best wishes for them. Take care of yourself, too.

Back
Top Bottom