My petite Cornish Cross hen Sally🩷

lunaticfishboy

Songster
Mar 31, 2022
Look at how she stands 😭❤️
img_4746-jpeg.3673699

Is there a reason why some Cornish cross chickens are not as meaty and fat as the others that are her same age, she is 15 weeks right now. She is the cutest little thing, it's like she's growing like a normal chicken or something. I may be wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_4746.jpeg
    IMG_4746.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 116
Look at how she stands 😭❤️
img_4746-jpeg.3673699

Is there a reason why some Cornish cross chickens are not as meaty and fat as the others that are her same age, she is 15 weeks right now. She is the cutest little thing, it's like she's growing like a normal chicken or something. I may be wrong.
If she is growing like a normal chicken, then maybe she is not a Cornish Cross.

Cornish Cross typically have yellow feet, but hers look white. That plus her body shape would suggest that she is some other breed.

Here are a couple of pics of Sally and the biggest Cornish cross I have right now, an absolute behemoth of a chicken. Sally is so tiny I can't help but wonder about her ❤️
IMG_4830.jpeg

IMG_4831.jpeg

Does she eat good?
I free feed everyone, they've all been eating meat bird start to finish, and now that butchering days are here they've been snacking on scratch grains for now. She seems to always be by herself but is very sweet and cuddly. I think she might just be a bit ill or underweight.

Sad update.

Sally the skinny meat chicken has passed on peacefully in her sleep last night.

IMG_4992.jpeg

The last picture I took of her alive. She was always very calm and unresponsive, and appreciated physical touch.

Unfortunately I had come to the conclusion a few days after this post, that she had hypothermia and was very very underweight. Her sternum/keel always kinda just stuck out. It felt like there was no meat on the breastbone. She stumbled over all the time and would just stand alone in the yard all the time, and would occasionally get bullied by other chickens. She always stood with her head very close to her body, she was just a poor little frail runt in the flock. I sort of knew it was eventually going to happen, she never showed any discomfort to us. I really hope she knew we tried for her.. at least she is in a better place now. 🐓🤍🤍🤍
Untitled196_20231107153203.png

This is her and my oldest pet CX hen, Lucy. Lucy is pretty badass.

But alas, it's a shame for poor little Sally. At least I gave her as much love as I could, and she passed peacefully.

Sad update.

Sally the skinny meat chicken has passed on peacefully in her sleep last night.

View attachment 3678614
The last picture I took of her alive. She was always very calm and unresponsive, and appreciated physical touch.

Unfortunately I had come to the conclusion a few days after this post, that she had hypothermia and was very very underweight. Her sternum/keel always kinda just stuck out. It felt like there was no meat on the breastbone. She stumbled over all the time and would just stand alone in the yard all the time, and would occasionally get bullied by other chickens. She always stood with her head very close to her body, she was just a poor little frail runt in the flock. I sort of knew it was eventually going to happen, she never showed any discomfort to us. I really hope she knew we tried for her.. at least she is in a better place now. 🐓🤍🤍🤍
View attachment 3678655
This is her and my oldest pet CX hen, Lucy. Lucy is pretty badass.

But alas, it's a shame for poor little Sally. At least I gave her as much love as I could, and she passed peacefully.
I'm so sorry about Sally. She was a sweet little thing. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom